Timing chain kit and cover replacement 84 4x4

Whalefish

I found out today that I've got some trouble with my timing chain, and a cracked timing chain case.  This truck is new to me and I had figured the clicking noise was the valve lash needing adjustment, but apparently not.

Has anyone done this procedure before?  I'm going to grab the Haynes manual soon, but I'm curious how complex this process is for someone without a ton of experience.  I'm definintely excited to learn, and I'm not excited to pay the mechanic the $1300 he quoted me.  I'm also curious how hard these parts are to find, especially the chain cover.

I live in the Vancouver, WA area (Ridgefield), and would totally be up for providing food and beer if anyone wants to lend a hand.  I don't have a lift, but I could get some of those drive up ramp block thingies if that would make the process easier.

If anyone has any info on this, I'm all ears.  I'm super excited about learning how to work on the truck, even though it's a bit of a jalopy.

-Matt

IMG_4308.jpeg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

This is for the L series motors which have a different head but the procedure is very close to the same as on your motor. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WCSh_6GA0k There are 3 or 4 to cover everything but it's all in there. Keep in mind you have a Z motor with a slightly longer chain and a different head than the video.

The timing cover from a wrecking yard is about the only place you will find one. Don't know what's wrong with your yet? Could be the chain guide plastics are worn down to bare metal and rattling.... can't see the chain hitting the case. See when you get the cover off what you need.