cam sprocket?

zed

Another newbie question - I've searched "cam sprocket", and read all the posts, but they don't seem to apply to my engine. (Sadly, Hainz vid is too big to download on dialup:()

So, please can someone explain why the bright/silver timing chain link is next to the "3" on the sprocket? My manual says it should be on "1".

It's a standard L18 engine, which has never been worked on... done about 250k miles, so the timing chain should be stretched right? I'm collecting parts and information for a rebuild here...

many thanks guys

CAMSPROCKETEDIT.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The bright link is on "3" but where is the other bright link? If it's lined up with the mark on the sprocket AND the cam sprocket pin is in #3 then someone set it there. If the engine has been run the bright link will land anywhere- it won't hit the number every revolution.

When I did the head on my L20B the bright link was nowhere to be found, BUT someone had set the static timing on #1. No wonder it backfired all the time.

I've built both L20Bs and L16s and the cam timing on an L16 at #1 is not the same timing as #1 on an L20B... combination of longer chain and the increased distance from sprocket to sprocket. Of course each engine varies... a milled head causes cam lag, all else equal. It's amazing what just a few thousandths does.

I do know what happens when you set an otherwise stock L20B on #1... a bit of backfiring out the intake when trying to start it, at least cold. Same effect as a worn chain, the cam ends up lagging the crank and dist timing. When it heats up the block/head grows more than the chain so it tightens back up a little bit.