Delta (aka FrankenDatsun)

4oh4

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The axle from an early 200sx (still Datsun) though rare, are good bolt in axles. They are H190 axles like the trucks IIRC, but with a different spline count. Still 4 link and bolt right in, but with factory rear disks. 

Dat's right. 1980 to 1983 only tho, 1984 was when the body style changed and so did the rear to an IRS I believe. If your going to stay with a miata engine, then the H165 will be plenty. If your thinking of anything over 300? then you wanna find the H190. Also, make sure you tighten those front wheel bolts really good, Monkey can tell ya a good story about that!

• Like 3

I may end up putting a hair dryer on it down the road, which could put me close to 300 (depending on what I have done to the internals). This is going to end up a long term project and may not see much street time for quite some time.

I may end up putting a hair dryer on it down the road, which could put me close to 300 (depending on what I have done to the internals). This is going to end up a long term project and may not see much street time for quite some time.

XD I hear ya, just look at my project. :blush:

What could I find one of those in?

All kinds of stuff. 240's, miata's, best just to hop on 240atlanta and look around. I might know someone with a whole rear IRS setup out of an old S13 coupe. I think he has the axle, struts and everything. Probably be a lot happier making something with IRS work then trying to make a Ford 8.8 fit.

Not that the Ford diff is hard, but the irs stuff is plentiful around here.

Also, make sure you tighten those front wheel bolts really good, Monkey can tell ya a good story about that!

The worst part is, I haven't owned that car in what...like 3+ years and still no one forgets  :rofl: I check my lugnuts every few weeks since that crap...

• Like 1

All kinds of stuff. 240's, miata's, best just to hop on 240atlanta and look around. I might know someone with a whole rear IRS setup out of an old S13 coupe. I think he has the axle, struts and everything. Probably be a lot happier making something with IRS work then trying to make a Ford 8.8 fit.

Not that the Ford diff is hard, but the irs stuff is plentiful around here.

The worst part is, I haven't owned that car in what...like 3+ years and still no one forgets  :rofl: I check my lugnuts every few weeks since that crap...

Not once but that happened like three times to you Monkey?

4oh4, sorry for the Hijack man but this little car you got has a lot...I mean A LOT of history here on Ratsun. It's so awesome to see Monkey's (now yours) 210 back on the forums. Your already doing an great job of getting her back in shape. The one thing I can tell you is this, get her running, drive and enjoy the little car! This will give you a feel and sense of what you wanna do. Also you have a car staring at you in pieces in your garage while you try to figure out or find parts you need to get your swap going.

Yep...Monkey would know all about reneck engineering. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:  I kid, I kid! Monkey is a pretty dam good wrencher.

• Like 2

Haha, nice. I had hoped this one would pop back up. I resisted the urge to ask Matt where it was being stored when he found it at the tow yard. Sucks about the block, but at least you have good plans for the swap. Good luck man, looks like it is in good hands.

OK, for this weeks update. its a big one. DRIVETRAIN IS HERE!!!!!!!!

sourced at:

2001 Chevy blazer rear end (chevy 10 bolt) and wheels (temporary) 

1994 Mazda Miata Engine(191k to be rebuilt), 5 speed Trans (91k), Radiator, fan, and partial wiring harness. 

thats it so far...

n4RyDAQ.jpg

old vs new at this point I only had the trans, but the positioning will put the shifter about 6 inches back, which is perfect for such a short throw 

Yuk5M5e.jpg

And now for the go.

TjUBiAL.jpg

Just a side view.

GgqnD4e.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so its been a while waiting for parts, BUT I have more updates

Well the donor engine had 200k on it, so I decided that it should be rebuilt. 

this is the mess that was left over from at least 25k of leaky valve cover gaskets.

oSFUO3U.jpg

so... needless to say, we used our dunk-tank and soaked the block. this is just before we painted it. 

OHEUOPv.jpg

and after, (built the motor mounts while we were waiting for parts to arrive.)

maz45Ky.jpg

lets go back to the chassis for a bit, that steering HAS GOT TO GO!!

1kLGbkH.jpg

Might as well pull the cross member and take off those mounts.

USmqtvz.jpg

Bottom half done and Sealed up! While tearing down the engine, we found that the previous donor owner had gone through the engine at some point and replaced the pistons and crank with forged elements!

fbky0pM.jpg

Thanks Lonestar!

finished the engine last night and began work on the cross member, we should have it done by later tonight. 

suPfB2l.jpg

This thing is way taller than it looks

8s4Kq00.jpg

forgot to mention that while i had the head off, i port and polished it. you can kinda see it here.

8s4Kq00.jpg

Due to the size of the oil pan, the original steering had to go, so we pulled a manual rack out of a 93 dodge colt. Its not a direct bolt on, so we will have to modify the inner tierod ends, but this is what we have so far (still needs boots).from what I've observed, it also looks like this will give us more steering angle. 

sZGKsf4.jpg

• 6 months later...

Ok, mega update time. It's been a long time, and i lost a bunch of pics when my phone decided it wanted to be a dolphin. 

I would like to explain why i am now making slow progress on this project, lack of money. Why? because this... my old one was about shot.

0kaless.jpg

enough of Hades, back to Delta.

First off, I had to redo the ENITRE motor mount AND make a custom crossmember

diVWEaY.jpg

here's another angle, this is with a mocked up steering in it. the angle will be changed eventually...

S6hN2Pg.jpg

Here it is sitting in its new home

xdkcsM4.jpg

With the power that is planned to come out of this, we have to get it to the ground. Blazer rear end? Blazer rear end.

YsO1hfx.jpg

here's another view BONUS: the car now has disk rears

FOcz3ZR.jpg

Here's the goober rig to get some lube in it

GcsP22f.jpg

Hydro e-brake being mocked for spacing

x3IEW9J.jpg

Fuck it, hair dryer time

iEVDecK.jpg

if we do that, gotta bake sure we get spark. IIC time!

u08YqH2.jpg

Stance, naw. I dig the ass in the air look more. (also, fenders are fixed!!)

1p3ZYrY.jpg

• 1 year later...