Question about rolling fenders

CameronT

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not rolled them before, for the reason of being scared they would rust.  Personally, I think it would be better not to fill them and just leave them open.  Just make sure you reach up there every so often and check them.  My thoughts about the silicone would be that eventually it will flex or shrink away from the metal and cause a crack that would then trap the water and dirt in there worse than if they were open...

• Like 1

Clean the shit out of them. Strip them of paint. Roll fenders. Prep with Por15 primer. Paint with two layers of por15. Wait till fingerdrag, topcoat with undercoating twice. Silicone will cause rust. You want to not get mud/dirt built up in there. It will just be part of washing your car.

• Like 1

the issue with this is doing the rear would be a challenge, but it sounds lik ein the long run will be more worth while to roll the fender maybe cut or leave to lip, just pull the fenders wider maybe?

that is true oregon is notorious for making beautiful rusty car rotfl

My buddy has a fender roller.....He will let me(You) use it, or you can pay him to do it.

you are in the greater portland area?

I'm not a fan of pulling the fender.  It ruins the lines.  There is a lot of excessive metal on that pinch weld.  On my own car, I would consider trimming the excessive metal off, then cleaning and sealing up the cut edge with seam sealer and paint. I think that would be a good starting point.  Plus, if you decide to roll it afterwards, you still don't want a lot of extra metal there, the extra metal just makes the roll that much more difficult.

I'm not a fan of pulling the fender.  It ruins the lines.  There is a lot of excessive metal on that pinch weld.  On my own car, I would consider trimming the excessive metal off, then cleaning and sealing up the cut edge with seam sealer and paint. I think that would be a good starting point.  Plus, if you decide to roll it afterwards, you still don't want a lot of extra metal there, the extra metal just makes the roll that much more difficult.

yeah i understand that rolling the lines looks different but i have wanted to make the fenders wider... by wider i mean not touching the stock lines just making the whole fender fatter pretty much, i am asking cause i got some 15x8's with a zero offset and i am wanting to go lower than i curren tly am sitting

yeah that is exactly haha it looks really good on the ground level trucks too!! did you cut the fender well lip or just roll it?

you looking for something like this?

CAM00444_zps35458507.jpg

CAM00460_zps21883cd1.jpg

You just made me realize he is working with a 620!.... I've been thinking this whole time that he was working on a 510.  derp.  Your pulled fenders look good! 

yes haha if it was a 510 i would have done it already buddy!

• Like 1

i used some old plumbing pipe to roll the fender.

i didnt have to cut anything in the back, just rolled it against the lip of the wheel.

ihad to roll the front fenders a bit so i didnt get any rubs.

You think if living in Oregon, cutting the lip would be a good alternative?

like radius the fenders?

im not sure i follow what you mean by cutting the lip?

Its the inner fender lip.

Rust is a main issue in oregon because of all the rain combined with the dirt = datsun diaster in a few years, its whats kept me from rolling the fenders and SLAMMING my truck for 2 years

ohhh, you mean the stock lip.. like the bottom of an L from the side... 

youre concerned about the crud getting caught in the lip once its folded. correct? 

myself, i never really though about it. do they use salt in oregon? im in the high desert valley, so rust isnt much of an issue. ive never ran into issues with the panels rusting out tho.. 

ohhh, you mean the stock lip.. like the bottom of an L from the side... 

youre concerned about the crud getting caught in the lip once its folded. correct? 

myself, i never really though about it. do they use salt in oregon? im in the high desert valley, so rust isnt much of an issue. ive never ran into issues with the panels rusting out tho.. 

yeah haha, thats where rust can accumulate, they are talking using salt and i hope for their sake they dont cause ill move away from salted areas, gravel i can live with... i like how your rear wells turned out front as well, looks really dope!  you said plumbing as in pvc?

That lip also ads structural strength just like a metal strip with a 90 degree fold down the length is stiffer than just the strip alone. When the lip is folded flat the fender edge is more easily pushed in and out.

what do you recomend?? i am only thinking of doing this because of 15x8 with a center offset, and i am wanting to go lower than i currently am (3 inch rear, 3.5-4 front)