Rebuild (L18) [Answered thanks!]

EdwardK

What brands are good and what brands should you avoid like the plague?

So far I can find Clegg, RPM Machine (Which doesn't include timing set and cam), and Engine pro (Which I think is the same as Clegg...)

I still have yet to tear down that spare motor it may just be scrap, but it ran (Pitifully.) before I pulled it. Rings are definitely shot, and the head gasket is gone, so might as well do it all while it's stripped down.

[Edit] I'm sorry! For the L18!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If doing a quick hone a ring job then yes use cast rings, they wear in faster and easier on a non perfect cylinder. If you bore it and use new pistons use chrome rings for long life..

Honestly I wanna blueprint it...

But can you say "Pipe-dream"? lol

Thanks for the info though, I don't plan to bore it unless the cylinder walls are scarred.

Get or have someone use a gauge on the cylinders. There are taper and oval limits that no ring can handle and just simple bore wear. Most wear is at TDC top ring... look for a ridge. Trust me I've done several hone and ring jobs and they never ran even close to 'like new'. Next oversize bore and pistons are the only added expense and the motor is basically new with one to two hundred thousand miles of life ahead of it. Mine were good for about 20K.

• Like 1

Get or have someone use a gauge on the cylinders. There are taper and oval limits that no ring can handle and just simple bore wear. Most wear is at TDC top ring... look for a ridge. Trust me I've done several hone and ring jobs and they never ran even close to 'like new'. Next oversize bore and pistons are the only added expense and the motor is basically new with one to two hundred thousand miles of life ahead of it. Mine were good for about 20K.

Well I guess I will have that done then. Shoot, might as well have them check that the main bore is still within tolerance as well.

Not necessary. Main bearing alignment  is quite good on the L series and won't change. Replace the main and rod bearings and check clearances with PlastiGauge. The only other machining might be a small fly cut off the head surface for good gasket seal.

• Like 1