Im out of ideas

Jaims

So I rebuilt the carb on my l20b in my 1980 Datsun 720 4X4. I also followed some ones advice and tore it down again.  why would I do that ? well my secondary valve will not open. It will open manually and its all gravy but on its own.... nope, nothin , not a dang thing. I don't even have the power to make it back up my driveway.  The primary valve had a slight bend to it so my buddy made it flat. looking back I'm not sure if that was the right idea. his logic was the secondary valve was brass and without markings. the primary valve was silver with numbers on it. In all honesty the primary valve looked home made out some old dog tags. we sprayed carb cleaner to check for vacuum leaks. it seems one guess is the secondary diagram assembly had a small leak. 

Thats my best guess, I need a new secondary diagram assembly. The part is only ten dollars but cost eight more dollars for shipping. (special order) Also on the front of the carb there is a cylinder with a line coming out of it, mine is black and kinda looks like popeyes pipe a little. It seems to me a fuel filter would go inside this cylinder. I called the auto parts store and asked, they couldn't find one. I also asked for a radiator hose for a 68 beetle and was on hold for 15 min lol. 

Im at my wits end y'all any help would be great.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

wayno

I'm not surprised that you are the first one to reply and ask a question I should have stated. lol.

yes it is the stock carb and yes I removed it to clean everythong in a solvin tank.

It's really hard to get the butterfly valves back on that shaft correctly.

I really know nothing about downdraft carbs, I really don't like them at all, when I rebuilt my weber a half year ago, I did not touch them shafts.

Personally if your going to stick with the down drafts, I would just buy a new weber, the problem with me is that I don't know which one you need, nor do I know what jets you need.

Doing anything to that butterfly valve was likely bad, I mean how would one ever get bent, so it likely was supposed to be that way, although I don't know that for sure.

All you can do is take it apart again, and when you put it back together, make sure that the shafts/butterfly valves open and close completely and freely, take your time, that is all the advise I can offer you, I use dual SUs if I can, otherwise I don't drive the ones without them very much, they are just waiting for SUs to be installed.

• 2 weeks later...