Quality Chrome Plating?

Due to EPA regulations my favorite local chrome plating business closed down years ago.  A person that takes parts across the border into Mexico kept the name, but their work sucks.  Is there any good chrome shops out there that anyone can recommend?  I need to have a grille, bumpers, license hood, and door handles off a 64 NL320 that need to be re-plated.

Thanks

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whom-so-ever you finaly out of desperation wind up consigning your work to, insist on getting in writing that they will do "TriChrome" plating! This is a thorough stripping of the steel item, a base coat of copper [hopefully burnished to fill in any imperfections in the steel surface, a necessary but often skipped step], a second coat of Nickle, followed finally by the finish coat of chrome. The final chrome layer should also be passivated or it will come out matte in a very short time. Anything less is a waste of money. Good luck, my favorite shop "Faith Plating" was in Santa Monica CA, but the Peoples Republic of Santa Monica drove them out.

• Like 1

Surely there is a good shop in CA, but if you can't find one;  Advanced Chrome Plating in Nashville, TN is rated one of the best in the country from what I hear from the restoration shops.  I was also told, they guarantee not to loose your parts (which is a huge problem with Chrome Platers).  But for that guarantee, I'm told they charge accordingly.  I've heard many horror stories from my restoration buddies of very rare parts not coming back (when using other chrome platers).  Even when a checklist, with pictures of all the parts sent out, is sent to the plater, parts still come back missing...

• Like 2

I would recomend Superior Chrome in San Jose. I have used them for all my chome work for over 10 years and very, very rarely been disappointed. And when I was, it was resolved quickly and with no drama. Mark is who I deal with, but his brother Miles also works there. Not cheap (they are in Kalifornia), but I'm pretty sure you'll be pleased with their work.

Mark

I'd go with ogden chrome out of Utah. Great workmanship and better prices.Free shipping on your first order, so ship ALL of your chrome the first time!

Superior Chrome out of SJ does good work, but for the prices they charge I'd expect a more SUPERIOR product. Shipping is not free, so once they send you their estimate, which is jaw dropping, you almost feel obligated because you don't want to pay for the returned shipping cost. My ¢2.

• Like 1