what setup

jimmy billy

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Check here and the realm for members in Kellowna that have a 510. Worth an hours ride for a drive in one to see. This will give you a base line to go by. They are pretty fantastic even old and stock.

Just remember that everything is connected... everything affects everything else. So when modifying the suspension look at the final goal. Stiffening the springs may seem too harsh unless you also replace the shocks or renew the strut dampers, new wide tires may not realize their full potential until the car is also lowered slightly... and so on. Everything affects everything else. I wouldn't go directly to BRE 325 lb/in front springs. Work your way up to where you like it. It's YOU that you have to please.

• Like 1

Yeah some research is needed. Roughly the same front and rear. If you want to be really confused the rears are cantilevered. The spring is forward of the axle so the spring has to be 3.8 times stiffer. Example... you want to run a 200 pound spring in the front and roughly the same at the axle on the backs. The rears are 200 x 3.8 = 760 lb/in. on the back.

Look up the Dime Quarterly : Google Docs. There is an article for using D-50 front truck springs in the rear of the 510. I think they are around 600 lb/in which would be felt as 160 at the axle.

• Like 1

Thats cool! Like i sead i never owned a datsun before and ive been learning so much. Thanks alot guys! Talked with my budy cody today and he sead if i went with the d50 springs for the rear that it would probobly be easyer to get new ones for the front instead of tryin to find something that was the same from the wrecker. That way i know that their a match.

You can work out you spring rate before cutting with that formula. Don't forget 200 lb/in is just a number and what works for one person may not be right for you. At least you can know where you are on your spring rate.

On my 710 goon I increased the rate about 50% to 150 and it's good but I may try 175 next time I take the struts off to swap sides.

• Like 1

Thats true. Im thinkin when it does come to the time that i do my suspention ill probobly just buy new ones. Its prity cheap. Then i juat have to deal with the front. I read a writeup on doing inserts and cuting the struts down and it all looks prity easy just taking your time to do it right.

And on a good note a budy gave me a carb for when i get my L16. So now i should be abble to get it running when i put it in :-D

Thats true. Im thinkin when it does come to the time that i do my suspention ill probobly just buy new ones. Its prity cheap. Then i juat have to deal with the front. I read a writeup on doing inserts and cuting the struts down and it all looks prity easy just taking your time to do it right.

And on a good note a budy gave me a carb for when i get my L16. So now i should be abble to get it running when i put it in :-D

Which carb?

I want your shocks lol

Im prity sure its stock.

Its prity good. I need alot of little things but i just have to drop a motor in it and it will run. I need break work but its mostly all their running wise. If someone gives me a email ill send some pics if youll post them. It wont let me post from my phone. And my laptops a pos lol

I want your shocks lol

Im prity sure its stock.

Its prity good. I need alot of little things but i just have to drop a motor in it and it will run. I need break work but its mostly all their running wise. If someone gives me a email ill send some pics if youll post them. It wont let me post from my phone. And my laptops a pos lol

Get a large notebook.

Divide into suspension, brakes, motor, transmission, rear axle, body and NOTES.

Every time you see or find something useful write it down. Collect items like a scrap book so you have it in the future when you get round to it... like body work. Cross reference facts to be sure they agree, in other words verify them. Research, research, research... is key to getting it right. Read and know EVERYTHING about what you want to do. Become an expert yourself on something you plan to do. Find out if the '68 Canadian 510 had different tail light lenses than the American ones. If they did..  why? It's all out there.

Owning an old Datsun means there are almost no mechanics out there that worked on them new and knows much about them. You will have to do your own repairs and maintenance and become an expert or have a fat wallet.

• Like 1

I can post some pics for you.  But first,  have you read this?

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/691-how-to-post-pictures-and-keep-online-photo-albums/

I do know how to post with my laptop but its a pos and takes forever to post anything. I hate having to sit their for 1 hour per pic lol its not fun. If ya can help that would be awsome buds :-D

Get a large notebook.

Divide into suspension, brakes, motor, transmission, rear axle, body and NOTES.

Every time you see or find something useful write it down. Collect items like a scrap book so you have it in the future when you get round to it... like body work. Cross reference facts to be sure they agree, in other words verify them. Research, research, research... is key to getting it right. Read and know EVERYTHING about what you want to do. Become an expert yourself on something you plan to do. Find out if the '68 Canadian 510 had different tail light lenses than the American ones. If they did..  why? It's all out there.

Owning an old Datsun means there are almost no mechanics out there that worked on them new and knows much about them. You will have to do your own repairs and maintenance and become an expert or have a fat wallet.

Agreed. I was thinkin of geting a white board to list everything. I have been saving sites and different things to a folder so i got the info saved. I will start a scrap book for writin info. And since i baught my 510 and joined this site ive learned so much about my car. My budys been telling me all sorts of things too. My wifes been getting pissed at me cause ive been reading stuff all the time lol.