what setup

jimmy billy

Lol its like your in my mined lol. Ya i had that thread already about a motor build lol i know it wont be cheap. Know im wondering if its possible to just stick the zx strait six in. I got a L16 to put in my car but i am puting a nicer motor in later. If i get my hands on a complet car like you did and just put it all in. The six will be fun enuf.

Im going to try the serch engine on here and see if it works for me. Find out what other have tryed to do with that swap. Im sure someones done it.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It can be done but IMO if you are gonna go with a 6 do a VG. It's a somewhat common swap and no firewall or radiator fitment issues. Pleanty of power but ofc the front gets heavier. Experimental engineering offers plenty of parts for this but their site is either down or NLA.

VG30.com

The V6 is a lite 6 as well. Probably similar or lighter than the L6.

Lol its like your in my mined lol. Ya i had that thread already about a motor build lol i know it wont be cheap. Know im wondering if its possible to just stick the zx strait six in. I got a L16 to put in my car but i am puting a nicer motor in later. If i get my hands on a complet car like you did and just put it all in. The six will be fun enuf.

Im going to try the serch engine on here and see if it works for me. Find out what other have tryed to do with that swap. Im sure someones done it.

Bought this 510 with a L28 (bored .050 over)...head was shot and never ran it.

P7060016.jpg

Dropped a LZ23 into it.....and who knows...might drop the L6 back in when I find a good head for it.

lzswap2.jpg

Well honestly there are plenty of threads here on ratsun about the VG swap. The L6? not so much, but if you search there are some trucks with that swap on here. Most have to either cut the firewall or get creative with the radiator (mounting it in the bed or cutting out the support and mounting between the headlights)

To each their own. Either way you are looking at about the same amount of power, and both swaps are similar to a KA24 for power. All are viable options for the sub-200hp mark and have varying degrees of modifications. 

• Like 1

Steeling my thread!!! Lol jking. Im not going to keep going with the motor thing. Someone always gets upset if you mention anything outside the box lol. But if anyone has a link to a thread that someones doing that swap post it.

Thread jack??!! What??!!

I was merely asking a question you were going to ask.....you just didn't know yet.......

........now to don't have to ask it...... Hahaha

• Like 2

Didn't want to start a new thread for my question and it relates to this topc.

What are the shortest performance inserts you can fit into 280zx struts??

From what I've found so far, it's the KYB AGX '91-95 MR2 strut for the rear:

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/39512-strut-insert-and-rear-shock-guide/page-4

You will get an even shorter strut, if you cut the 1/4" spacer off the bottom.

• Like 1

The problem with the L6 is that you will have a lot more weight, forward of the front wheels.  In this thread, your asking about handling, well more weight forward of the front wheels will kill the handling.  While VG30 or VG33 are heavier than the L4, KA, or SR, the VG contains the weight gain over, and rearward of the front wheels.

From what I've found so far, it's the KYB AGX '91-95 MR2 strut for the rear:

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/39512-strut-insert-and-rear-shock-guide/page-4

You will get an even shorter strut, if you cut the 1/4" spacer off the bottom.

I thank you good sir!!

I would ask on the realm. But keep in mind RACING CAR not something you would drive around on the street. It sounds cool but is actually over the top for a DD. The suspension would be set for minimum flex and only when cornering at 200 kph. Nothing wrong with a little bit of comfort when driving.

• Like 1

I hear ya. Im just interested. Maybe put a few ideas together. Blend it a bit and come up with my own setup. In reference of what you sead erlyer i dont want someone to tell me and just do it. Im puting everything together and making my own setup for what works for me and my driving. Im used to bouncing down the road in my hondas cause i set them up for track but dd them. Lol i live to go on back roads and do some cornering :-D

• Like 1

The bouncing down the road will get old, the older you get!  "Been there done that".  You will find you can still have as much fun, or more, with more comfort.  It becomes more of a challenge to be able to push a street prepared car to it's limits and hold it, rather than trying to reach the limits of a race prepared car on the street.

• Like 1

Lol i am geting old lol. Ya im not going to go as hard building a race car but i do want it to corner real good. I will figure out what setup i want one day. I wonder what springs in other cars i can make work. I do have a full set of drop springs for a honda but im pritty sure the rears wont work. At the moment im puting together all the info so when i get their ill have a good plan. Right now i gotta get the motor in and drivable then do the body work thats needed and paint it. Then when thats all done ill get into the suspention and what not.

The front coil springs from a Dodge D50 truck can be trimmed and will fit the rear of the 510. The dime quarterly has an article on this. Fronts can be trimmed and this will lower the ride and increase the stiffness.

The stock front coil spring rate for the 510 is 89 pounds per inch. Many run between 175 and 225. On a race only car 300+ isn't unheard of. It depends on what you want and what you think is comfortable. There will be a point where the handling vs. stiffness of ride is unacceptable... everyone is different. There is no set answer.  

• Like 1

Honest question:

Have you ever driven a 510?  I know we all like to dream before we even have a project in our hands, I'm guilty as charged, but if you've never driven a 510 to get a baseline feel for it, I think some things about it will actually surprise you.  I know I was surprised when I first drove my stock suspension 510.  The first thing that surprised me, was the tight turn radius. Second was the fact that even though there was a lot of body roll, it held the corners exceptionally well, even with me sliding back and forth across the stock seats.  In fact, even after driving my 510 in stock form, I pretty much gave up on the British cars I've always had!  They don't compare, except in the drop top function.  I will have to try the Roadster next.