Quick LZ question for those that have built one

Eagle_Adam

I'm working with Draynor to install and dial in the "LZ 21 long rod" that he and Laecaon put together and I'll be honest i haven't found a clear answer to a specific question I have so here goes!

In an LZ what crank pulley "should" be used?

The reason I have this question is because if I were to tune Derek's motor by ear the timing light tells me his motor is at where 25 would be on the timing plate......

And I'm wondering if the l20b crank pulleys timing mark is deceiving me and I should time it by ear or if I should believe what I see and sleep more than 15 hours in a week ?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Every Z22/Z24 I have seen had a 2 piece pulley/ harmonic balancer. I asked around when I was putting mine together and got different answers. My theory is, when they increased the stroke of the crank, it must have had some harmonic issues (think tuning fork). So they dumbed it down with a bolt on damper. Lack of it could lead to the flywheel coming loose, or even crank breakage. I went with the damper pulley.

One thing you can do when assembling is use an indicator on the #1 piston to find TDC. Rotate the motor both directions so the dial reads .010 either direction, mark the pulley in both readings. Then move the timing marker to line up in the middle of the marks. Dead nuts. Once it is together you can buy a tool the threads into the spark plug hole. Rotate one direction untill the toll hits the piston, mark the pulley. Rotate in the other direction, mark the pulley. TDC is at the center of the two marks.

IMG_1762.jpg

IMG_1757.jpg

Every Z22/Z24 I have seen had a 2 piece pulley/ harmonic balancer. I asked around when I was putting mine together and got different answers. My theory is, when they increased the stroke of the crank, it must have had some harmonic issues (think tuning fork). So they dumbed it down with a bolt on damper. Lack of it could lead to the flywheel coming loose, or even crank breakage. I went with the damper pulley.

One thing you can do when assembling is use an indicator on the #1 piston to find TDC. Rotate the motor both directions so the dial reads .010 either direction, mark the pulley in both readings. Then move the timing marker to line up in the middle of the marks. Dead nuts. Once it is together you can buy a tool the threads into the spark plug hole. Rotate one direction untill the toll hits the piston, mark the pulley. Rotate in the other direction, mark the pulley. TDC is at the center of the two marks.

this is awesome BTW  ^^