Rust converter drying time

So here's a question:  What's the shortest amount of time you've used rust converter in the spray can BEFORE painting over it?  Most of the cans I've seen say wait 24 hours.  Interestingly enough on the rust converter website, not only does it say the lifespan is 9 months, but it also says wait 24 hours before top coating IF POSSIBLE.

Says you can handle it 1 hour.  Methinks with the right amount of drying, I should be able to topcoat it in 1.5 hours?  What do you think?  Anyone ever tried it before?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Most paints and primers "dry" using at least two processes. First, the solvents evaporate, and then the paint undergoes a chemical change, "setting" or "curing" or "crosslinking" Some paints, enamels actually cure by using the oxygen in the air to cure over a few weeks to a few months.

If the rust converter says to wait 24 hours, I would do that. It may also have a recommended minimum temperature, and it you are close to that temperature, you may have to wait even longer.

Read the data sheets on the products you are using. Ask the people at the paint store you got your products at.

Depends on the ambient temperature amongst other things.

Are you sanding it back before applying the topcoat?

Applying a primer?

2 pac paint?

Wet on wet coating the top coats etc

Generally, if the temperature has been right, my personal experience is an hours usually good enough for most of the rust convertors we get here in Aus.

Usual story with any painting, it all depends on the base, prep work, and what you want the final coat to look like.

My two cents worth.

Yeah, that's what my bodyman says.  But I want to rattle can the engine bay and crossmember tonight!!!!  Waaaaa!!  I suppose I could heat up the garage tomorrow after work, but damn that takes a while and a lot of wood.

Yeah, this is a shit quick job, not approved by my bodyman. ;)  I just want the engine bay orange again to match the rest of the car, which was painted by me with 16 cans of Kubota Orange implement spray paint.  So we're not talking Mona Lisa here.

Well screw it, I'm going to load up the stove and let that shit dry until tomorrow.  Don't quite want to chance it.  Been digging around online and everything says wait 24 hours.  I get off work early tomorrow, hopefully enough time to heat up the garage again and go nuts!