Prefered method for stripping a datto down to bare metal?

What do you guys prefer? Fastest without chemicals. Wire brush, sand paper?

I'm abot to go stock up on materials for stipping the 240z down to metal and seeing how bad she really is. Right now I just have a crappy palm sander, some angle grinders, a block, but hopefully my friend will eb loaning me a electric orbital pretty soon. For now I gotta go with what I have. Air really isnt a option as it's a bit noisy for the apartments.

I'm thinking maybe 80 or 200grit?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I used an orbital sander with 80 grit (the lowest I could find) and it worked pretty good. Find a source online and order them in 10 packs.

If you can find 40 grit that will get through the paint faster. Finish it to bare metal with the 80 so its not so rough on the metal.

On a truck I had, the roof had some heavy surface rust. I had a polisher that I 'made' some 40 grit discs for and it blew through that rust. I smoothed it out with 80 and 120 grit later.

I ended up buying a craftsman 6inch polisher/sander for 80 bucks, and grabbed a 25 pack of 80grit adhesive discs for 9 bucks. Should last me through the night I hope :)

I can get lower grit, I may go back and buy some 40 grit discs tomorrow. Hopefully I can get this baby stripped down by next weekend. I suppose I'll nbeed to go buy some metal etching spray can primer to cover it up for the time being.

Stop now! You don't even have an air compressor.

Stripping to bare metal unless you are doing some local panel repair is usually a serious mistake. If there are multiple layeres of paint then you could sand down to the original base-color coat, and using long board and flexible sanders, smooth the surface beyond factory standards.

If the base coat has held up all these years, it will hold up longer than your base metal trials.

if you got lots of layers of paint, 40 will work for you faster but if not stick with 80, make sure you dont stay in one area for to long because het heat will warp your panel, then you will end up with a "very friendly" vehicle, it will be waving at everyone.. :D

too late,. I have to do some rust repairs so im taing the thing down to metal. Finding some bondo spots along the way. I have a air compressor, im not going to use it though. Loud ass annoying thing. This electric 6inch is doing pretty good, but it does clog quick, so im gonna drop down to 40 tomorrow then go over any areas that are too gauled with some 120.

I suppose I can just strip down the areas that in need of rust repair and just smooth out the rest of the areas.

Looks like the car was stripped and repainted at one time. But it's a black looking primer and orange over the top.

I'm just saying if your gonna strip a car down to bare metal your going to have to go through some steps to do it right or all the time you spent will be wasted when it starts to rust again. your going to have to get a etching primer to go direct to metal most other primers will not seal bare metal kd 2000 hok primer can be direct to metal and a filler primer also. It like killing 2 birds with one stone kinda deal

Yeah I know I would have to use a etching primer. I'll look into that kd stuff. Since the paint does seem to be pretty good, I think I will take your advice on not taking the tnire car down. I'm going to leave the rest alone right now and start working on the rusted spots, although my passenger rear quarter is definately going to have to come down as there is bondo flaking.

Oh and those deep looking scratches are actually paint or the rubber off my sander. I checked today.