New to 720

Huntin720

Just bought my first 720. 1980 4x4 L20B. The truck is pretty great. The prevous owner had the whole body rhino lined professionaly. Almost everything works. The horn is broken. New cat back exhaust, new alternator, new starter, new battery, new primary wires and spark plug wires, new plugs, new distributor. The problem is that it's getting 15mgp. I suspect it's running rich. It does smell like gas, and the idle is a bit rough. But maybe it has a gas leak? I'm not sure where to start trouble shooting and how. Also what improvements, fixes, alterations should I consider? I'm pretty broke after buying the truck so I cant do huge stuff. Also I'm using this for a commute but also hunting, so I'm not interested in slamming it or any of that.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome  B)

I live across the river in Vancouver just off 205, you likely have an L20b in your truck, so mileage wise your likely not going to do much better, it's a heavy truck, and they went with a bigger engine the next year.

I don't know much about down draft carbs, but I can look at it, is it a weber or a stock carb?

Thanks, I'll post pics when I get a chance. It's the L20B with the stock carb. Eventually I'll probably want to put the Weber on it. But I don't have the money now. Also I'm wondring if anyone knows the capacity of the heavy duty bumper. I need to tow a lightweight trailer just once up to a farm and it seems beefy enough but I don't want to push my luck.

If you can move visibly the bumper around with your foot, you likely should not tow with it.

I have towed complete vehicles with my bumper, but it is a heavy duty bumper that I cannot move no matter how hard I push on it.

This is my bumper.

Yeah mine doesnt move a all. It isn't as beefy as yours. but its heavy gauge steel double bolted to the frame on both sides. I'm pretty confident that it can handle what I'm hauling.