L16 wont start now

jalen

fuel filter level is not that reliable . Mine is only like half full.

if you still have the old filter open it up to see if rust in there. But once a idle jet is plugged it pretty much stays plugged. so you start it later and it it idles then the idle jet is ok.

Like I said when it dies ck the carb and look in the main barrel and cyle the gas linkage if not squirting of gas in the carb then the float bowl is empty and your running out of gas. The carb needle valve coul be sticky.

a hail mary the fuel pump cuts out put that ez to ck also. point and shoot in safe direction.

ck the coil hot again.

this is a simple fix.

You just got to be smarter!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll second that.

fuel filter level is not that reliable . Mine is only like half full.

This is not true. A droplet of water can block a jet intermittently. Have seen it many times. Rinseing the carb out usually fixes it, but can re-occur if the fuel tank is still contaminated.

But once a idle jet is plugged it pretty much stays plugged. so you start it later and it it idles then the idle jet is ok.

Hi all,

First off, thank you all for your comments, suggestions, and knowledge!  Went out this morning and 510 started right up.  I thought the fuel filter was the culprit.  Was very happy!  Then 10 minutes later it wouldn't start.  My son came home and we fiddled with it.  No spark at plug.  No spark at coil output wire.  There was plenty of spark yesterday!  Anyway, since I just got the new condensers, I decided to change the "good looking" one.  Changed it (tough to get to that screw!) and bam, it started right up and we actually drove it around the island!  So datzenmike, you nailed it!  BUT, you all have read my comments.  It's been on and off for 3 days.  I think there was more than 1 issue.  Fuel filter maybe.  2nd second set of points with wire splice maybe bad or shorting, older looking condenser bad maybe, etc.  The symptoms I described were all over the place, but lastly, with the working/not working/working/not working, does this sound like a condenser going bad? I thought a condenser was either good or not good...

Anyway, it runs!  It is not that responsive.  My family had a 70 510 wagon in 71/72 and I remember it being pretty quick!  I know I need to gap the points properly, time it, make sure plugs are clean (look good).  I guess check compression.  Maybe valve adjustment.  And weber adjustment.  I need to dig up a weber book I have but should this engine have decent throttle response and pickup?  Vrooom when giving gas.  It just seems sluggish now.  Runs good though just not any pep.

My boys are thrilled and this will make a fun little toy.  I think many, if not all bushings need to be replaced so that will be next.  Oh, one last comment/question.  The rear springs have been cut.  The car sits very low and the tire is up inside the wheel well, and the camber is about 1.5" bottom to top leaning in.  What would be the best (less expensive) way to get it back to normal ride?  Coil overs or get some used springs and new shocks?

Thanks all!  It was very fun diagnosing the problems and every time I came back to the computer one or more of you had commented with very useful information.  This is a great forum!  Paul  I still cannot see how to post photos... but I will as soon as I figure it out!

Yes, I want to go that route as there is wobble on my shaft anyway.  Any leads?  Thanks again for all your help!  Dwell was 85 and timing was off after getting dwell to about 52.  Had to use the fine tune distributor plate to allow for more movement.  The car definitely had more pep and ran smoother!  Fun little car!

• Like 1