3rd 620!!

jdznutz

Hey Guys!

I rescued this gem the other day from behind a garage. It just happened to pop up on CL so I jumped on it. I had been looking for a new project since I sold my 240sx and this one is definitely a project. Best part about it, other than it is the first king cab I have owned, is that it still has floorboards ... rusty but only on the surface. Little cleanup prime and paint and they will be good as new. This thing was last registered in 2001 and has sat since due to a Slave Cylinder issue. 

The good:

Body appears to be fairly straight with minimal rust.

Floorboards

Appears to be relatively stock

The Bad:

No gas cap - Who knows when it was removed so gas tank is questionable. 

No Hydraulic fluid in either the clutch or brake cylinders so the condition of both system are unknown

Sunroof - not only does it leak, it is giant

Front frame of the hood is rusted almost completely. 

Will it run? 

Other than these issues I am very pleased with the truck. Basically needs all new rubbers and a host of other things but still a good starting point.... if I cant get the L20 running I have a CA18 in the garage left over from the 240sx which I feel would be a suitable replacement. 

A couple questions: 

1. The PO stated the transmission was from a 280z, and that it had blown out a couple slave cylinders. Is the 280z slave cylinder longer than the one for the L20 trans?

2. Anyone know if the trans will bolt to the CA?

3. Who here has successfully performed a chop / roof transplant? Thought about going rag top but I'm not JDM enough for that. 

4. Looking for good pics of a factory console in a king cab. Mine is there but seems to be missing a few pieces. 

5. Any pics of custom or available aftermarket rear roll pan to eliminate the gap between the taillights? No big step bumper on my truck and I think I prefer it. 

Anyway, here it is on day one!

1461106_10201160116909967_1585571874_n.j

This is my 3rd 620 so I am very familiar with them but since I owned my last one in 99 it seems a lot of things have changed. Thanks for the help and any advice is appreciated!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good start! :D More pictures is the only comment id make

Definitely will take more pics when it dries up out here... been raining for days....Only dry time in the past couple weeks was the few hours it took me to get this guy home. Big plans and will document every step of the way. 

If you replace the roof, cut the posts high on your truck and low on the donor to give plenty of room for trimming.  Once you remove the glass, you can lay it back in place without the rubber to see how it compares to the opening, so you can tack the new roof in the same position before final welding...kinda like using the glass as a measuring stick.  Pay attention to the clearance at the top of the doors, too.  Stock-height replacement isn't too difficult if you get these things right.

If you replace the roof, cut the posts high on your truck and low on the donor to give plenty of room for trimming.  Once you remove the glass, you can lay it back in place without the rubber to see how it compares to the opening, so you can tack the new roof in the same position before final welding...kinda like using the glass as a measuring stick.  Pay attention to the clearance at the top of the doors, too.  Stock-height replacement isn't too difficult if you get these things right.

Thanks for the reminder. I plan to do a lot of measuring and marking before any cuts are made. For stock I don't foresee any issues but this is major surgery so anything can happen. In the meantime I will be looking for a seal for the sunroof and getting it running. Once I get it mobile I hope to get into the body work. 

Nice looking truck!! If you decide you dont like your door window visors I would be happy to take them off your hands :)

Thanks! Those visors are coming off but I don't think you would want them.... they are screwed to the door frame... If I can attach them differently they will stay but for now I plan on getting rid of 'em.

So... I removed the sopping wet driver's seat and the driver's floor carpet and the floor plugs so all of the water can drain out... hopefully the inside can do some drying out. Will post pics as soon as I can clean some of the inside out. I also checked the fluids since it will be freezing here and still full of Antifreeze after 12 years of sitting and still full of oil so I have high hopes of getting it running in short time. Hooked up the battery charger and the dash lights and headlights came on with no issues! 

Getting more excited about this project everyday! 

I will most likely use this thread as a journal for what what I do and my plans for the future of this project. Any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading. 

Got a lot of work done today ... unfortunately none on the truck itself. A little back story:

My father died back in March. Before he went, he told me that everything in his garage was mine. So for the next month I traveled to and from his house a couple hundred miles away and began filling my garage and this is how it has looked ever since. 

1497646_10201215741780554_587803489_n.jp

Since i got the Datsun I have been reorganizing the room in the back of the garage you can see in the upper right of the photo. This room is basically the unfinished inside back wall of the garage. Insulation was already up so to keep from poking holes in it and dealing with the great displeasure insulation is to the skin and eyes, I hung 6mil plastic sheathing around the perimeter, no need for drywall or paneling. I had a set of shelves and a couple sets I got from my Dad's garage, so I used them and some more I picked up this week to set the room up to accept the majority of what you see here. Today I took the time to finish up the shelves in the room and placed most of what I could in the new storage area in hopes to bring the ole King Cab out of the weather. 

I had to move the project Lawnmower outside and place some of the kids toys creatively but this is how it sits today. 

1521831_10201215744700627_1689753894_n.j

For some reason my iPhone takes really good and really crappy photos.... I think Siri decides which randomly. Also, it has gotten dust in the lens causing every pic to have those neat little dark spots. 

As for work on the truck, over the next few days I will be getting it up on stands and attempting a brake bleed and diagnosing the slave cylinder issue. Also gonna clean out the bed since the PO left me some trash. Looking forward to a dry work environment!

Anyone have any pics of an OE Slave Cylinder? I have a theory that the slave that is on it isn't correct. 

X2! you need more space it that garage :D

but it looks like a solid rig to me 

Thats not much room to work on the 620. get rid of the rest of the stuff. LOL  Nice 620

Boy that is the truth! Luckily everything on the passenger side is on wheels and the drivers side is just wheels and that GT6 bonnet..... Know anyone that may need a bonnet for a late 60's Triumph???? 

Got in the garage last night around 7pm, put it up on jack stands and removed the wheels. Found the front left brake hose to be almost cracked in half and the passenger side not far behind it. Everything in the rear looks great under the truck but I have not attempted to loosen anything. Also not sure what to think about the slave cylinder. The trans doesn't look quite right but the bolts looked OK and the driveshaft seems unmodified. Any pics of an OE Slave Cylinder on a truck? Couldn't read any numbers on the trans but will look closer in the coming weeks. I have a bit of time off after Christmas so I plan to get the brakes and clutch in working order and attempt to start it before the new year. Hopefully it will be roadworthy in the next month so I can start recouping my purchase price in gas savings.... the ole 2500hd gets about 11mpg around town so I should be able to double that with the 620. 

Scored an electronic distributor yesterday as well!

This evening I pulled the rest of the interior. Removed the storage shelf and the interior harness and some loose wires left behind from an old stereo system. Scraped the floor and vacuumed it out. I am still very pleased with this truck! 

1475793_10201244272173796_192668612_n.jp

1520603_10201244272933815_1575633885_n.j

1503256_10201244270893764_716095249_n.jp

Question: What is everyone doing with their cracked dash? 

Will be tearing into the brake and clutch system this weekend and if all goes well I will attempt to start it next weekend.