Driving my 71 510 in low temps/ more questions

Datsunrider71

Last night my 510 just died on me on the high way after a hour of driving. It still gets gas to the weber and all that. I have a aluminum Radiator on the car so the temp of the car was in the cold zone but I guess when I got up to were I am the temp droped more because of the Higher elevation so I'm wandering if the gas froze on me can some one tell me if this ever happened to them.

Thx

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so the temp of the car was in the cold zone

If you mean your temperature gauge was reading low or below NORMAL run range then you need to replace your thermostat or at least check to see if it even has one. The L series should be running around 185F or so for best performance and cold weather driveability. The thermostat should block the flow of cold water through the engine when it is cold also. When the motor warms up it slowly allows more and more coolant to flow to the rad and maintains the engine at a controlled  185F or so. Some thermostats can fail in the open position

and the motor can never warm up. It will perform poorly and give poor mileage.

You may also have had some carb icing. Gas absorbs heat from the air when it evaporates in the base of the carb or the intake. If the air is already very cool and damp, like freezing rain or fog, this can cause frost to collect inside the carb. It will coat and cover the venturi and prevent it from sucking in gas. The gas pedal has to be pushed down more and more until the car just won't go any more. Usually sitting for a few minutes will thaw it out and you can drive for another 1/4 mile until it does it again. Gas treatment does not cure this.

What you need is the carb warm air re connected. I see you have a weber, and it won't have this. The stock air cleaner housing will have a hose from the snorkel down to the hot exhaust manifold. Air warmed by the exhaust manifold is drawn into the carb. This air is too warm to freeze.

Depends how hot is defined. Most Datsun temp gauges have a NORMAL run range. All Datsuns I have had tend to run about a third of the way up into the run range and definitely below half way point.

Keep in mind that just because something has been changed for a new one does not automatically eliminate it as the cause of a new problem. Indeed a new problem could be the last thing changed.

Depends how hot is defined. Most Datsun temp gauges have a NORMAL run range. All Datsuns I have had tend to run about a third of the way up into the run range and definitely below half way point

Keep in mind that just because something has been changed for a new one does not automatically eliminate it as the cause of a new problem. Indeed a new problem could be the last thing changed.

Where I made the red line Dmike

96FD30F8-BBF4-408D-BF75-5FABD9E832AF.jpg

Looks like about 1/3 of the way into the normal run range... perfect.

The sudden dropping is the opening of the thermostat. Cold water enters the bottom of the motor and up past the thermostat causing the temp sender to signal a drop to the gauge. The thermostat closes and the motor begins to heat the water again. This may happen several times before it equalizes and runs steady.

Very hard to trap air in an L series motor. I know that people have said they had to jack the front of their cars up to get the air out it's not needed. Because the thermostat is mounted vertically, as soon as it opens any air bubbles immediately rise up through the opening and settle in the highest place... the top of the rad tank. Later, the dropped level can be replaced with more coolant.

Looks like about 1/3 of the way into the normal run range... perfect.

The sudden dropping is the opening of the thermostat. Cold water enters the bottom of the motor and up past the thermostat causing the temp sender to signal a drop to the gauge. The thermostat closes and the motor begins to heat the water again. This may happen several times before it equalizes and runs steady.

Very hard to trap air in an L series motor. I know that people have said they had to jack the front of their cars up to get the air out it's not needed. Because the thermostat is mounted vertically, as soon as it opens any air bubbles immediately rise up through the opening and settle in the highest place... the top of the rad tank. Later, the dropped level can be replaced with more coolant.

Cool I was worried the hole why home I thought it was something bad I never been in a car that did that. Rad tank??