Universal Disk Brake kits?

Cpl620

So im fabbing up a lot of crap for my 620 build and was looking for disk brakes. maybe a 12 or 13 inch rotor and some willwoods or brems too keep the fade away on hard track days. I figured i could just fab up my own mounting brackets, but the problem i ran into is finding a kit at a price that wont that wont empty by bank account and my credit card all at the same time. all i need is the rotors to match the same lug configuration and then some nice calipers. 

has anyone else looked into this or has some ideas?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a complete kit on ebay with rotors, wilwood calipers, hoses and the needed adapters to fit king pin trucks. 

Or you can contact Beebani here and piece together a zit with either Z32 calipers or Hardbody 2 piston calipers. 

Beebani also makes brackets for the rear using Maxima calipers. 

nice! actually im being a hipster scene kid and doing the 240 swap in my 620 so ill be working with those hubs and suspension. 

i seen some un-drilled top hats for sale on summit, but piecing all that stuff together seems like a pain in the ass. 

at one point i thought about getting the new 370Z sport package calipers and fittingthose...

making hip towers for my bro struts, welded right on the flippin frame. did i forget to put my snap back on as i typed this?

fuq, shit is still expensive piecing it together. i was seeing if doing a dual caliper setup would be a bit cheaper....i dont think ill need more than a 4 piston for a 620 right?

I did a 117 degree track day in my 510 with 280zx front brakes and stock rear drums running the brakes at 10/10ths.  Despite doing all the work the front brakes held up, not once did I get brake fade or lose braking capability.  And that was just with Carbotech's least aggressive track pad.  I haven't been on a track yet with the new rear Maxima calipers but they should be fine.

620s are only a couple hundred pounds heavier?  Unless it's a hardcore race vehicle I don't really see the need for fancy 4 piston calipers.

There is a complete kit on ebay with rotors, wilwood calipers, hoses and the needed adapters to fit king pin trucks. 

Or you can contact Beebani here and piece together a zit with either Z32 calipers or Hardbody 2 piston calipers. 

Beebani also makes brackets for the rear using Maxima calipers.

This, stop over thinking it. The D21 came with a VG motor option and even larger calipers with vented 6 bolt rotors.

that's a good point. it will see half its life on a track, but nothing competitive. i guess a Z32 setup will work. it will be the 240sx 5lug hub.

It's a 620 and weighs about 2,700 pounds. 240sx hubs won't make it stop any better. Convert to disc brakes and run zx or Maxima calipers or even late 720/Hardbody calipers. The rotors are already 6 bolt for your 620 rims. Done.

How is replacing the front end not going to break the bank?

Maybe your intention to go 5 lug would have helped at the beginning.

So im fabbing up a lot of crap for my 620 build and was looking for disk brakes. maybe a 12 or 13 inch rotor and some willwoods or brems too keep the fade away on hard track days. I figured i could just fab up my own mounting brackets, but the problem i ran into is finding a kit at a price that wont that wont empty by bank account and my credit card all at the same time. all i need is the rotors to match the same lug configuration and then some nice calipers. 

has anyone else looked into this or has some ideas?

How is replacing the front end not going to break the bank?

Maybe your intention to go 5 lug would have helped at the beginning.

actually the whole conversion to get it running (not including tools) will set me back about 3K. thats engine/tranny swap, fab materials, misc consumables. the amount of some BBK kits for the donor chassis go from 3K-5K just for the front or back..

ahh, i guess i have to stop making threads after im tired, i should have specified.

game plan...

doing the 240 suspension swap, its 4 lug now, but will go 5lug for wheel options. not for just going 5 lug, but for many reasons. i prefer IDRS, i dont like unibody chassis (as far as performance builds), aftermarket is abundant, and i feel like having another project. i dont have the money to drop a ridiculous 3K on a BBK, but i want something that will provide superior brake performance and avoid any chance of brake fade on track/spirited driving. I saw willwood made a few rotors and hats that were undrilled, but im no expert on what will fit and what wont. im just wondering if there is another option i dont know about? or is Z32s more than enough? i would prefer to go with something a bit more modern.

by fallowing a combo of these two. i know chad used the Z32, but my front end weight is probably going to be a bit heavier with engine choice...

Chad-Copeland-Mozilla-Firefox-12212010-8tumblr_m798sw4pAe1qkir2zo1_1280.jpg

My mechanical back ground is alright. i was a jet engine mech in the military, half of that was also quality assurance rep. taking time to do things right. I finished and parted my last build, just a 240sx, nothing major, just more mechanical and engine build stuff. had some work with a 66 stang, putting in a custom 4 link and braces to stiffen the body. Little BS projects like a honda 750 engine in a yamaha raptor atv and gas powered scooters. I wanted to build something a bit further. im not nervous about it, so i guess that a good sign as ive already started cutting and tacking stuff in place.

for everything else i dont have or know how to do (milling, aluminum tig, rolling sheet metal , actual dynamics of race frame) i have friends and resources that make up for that. while i haven't touched a lot of stuff, ive been around custom rods my whole time growing up. i fell im at the point where i have enough to get me by, and other skills with come with just researching and doing it.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I've done bbk on all my Nissan cars. 300zx calipers, 04 maxima rotors, steel lines, cheap and done. Looking around 600 max for everything. The rights pads make all the difference though. That's the setup I had on my 95 maxima, car had 300whp and I ran that thing hard at the track. You have lots of options since you're a 5x114.3.

Let me know if you have any questions about the brake setups. Us maxima guys have to get very creative when it comes to braking and wheel clearance.

• Like 1