sr20 tranny vs 280zx manual na tranny length

I have a drive line i took out of my datsun that was cut to fit the 280zx na manual tranny. I'm in the process of doing a sr20 swap and I think I read somewhere that the sr20 transmission is a bit longer?  I can't find it again, but was wondering if anyone has the measurement of the 280 transmission? Help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

• Like 1
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

The '77-'78 280x 4 and 5 speeds were 31.5" long. This is measured by standing the transmission up on end on two 2x4s, placing a straight edge across the output (remove any metal dust shield if there is one) and measuring VERTICALLY and parallel to the center line of the transmission, up from the bell housing surface that mates against the engine block, to the straight edge.

This gives the absolute length and avoids a longer and incorrect slope distance that you would get from the transmission end to the bell.

IF your driveshaft fits perfectly it should be 37 3/8" or 37.375" U joint to U joint I believe. This is the traditional length used for the z or zx 71B 5 speed swap.

Measure the SR 5 speed using the method above and subtract 31.5" and this is how much shorter the driveshaft must be. I confident the SR's 71C  transmission will be something like 34 or 35" long but definitely longer than the 71B

"71B" 280zx 5spd's = 31.5" inches long

"71C" SR20det/KA24e/de 5spd = 33.5" inches long (just barely but very safe to say so)

Like Stupid_fast said the shifter/shifter mounting area.. is bulkier to.

You can get cheap short throw shifters just about anywhere for these or second hand if you watch.

Good Luck and have fun.

• Like 1