New Guy on the Block

Breaking Dad

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys. I got my freshly covered seat back and installed. Very stoked with it! Ill post pics soon. Tried to adjust the brakes today and found out the P/O did a few things wrong. Nothing i couldnt fix pretty easy but i ran into another issue. The front adjuster wheel on the drivers side is siezed. I took it apart and hit it with PB Blaster. Nothin. Put the torch to it. Nada. Its stuck and aint comin loose. My question is....where might i find one of those? Are they a common part? Something i could get at a parts store or am i hunting the web and junkyards?

Heres the seat. Pretty happy with how it turned out over-all. Next up is brakes. The local dealer says they can get the adjuster screw for $53 but I need to look at the rear brakes too and see if theres anything that needs to be ordered before I pull the trigger on the order.

image-6.jpgimage-7.jpg

• Like 3

Im in Yuba City, once the weather is better Id like to see what meets I can make for sure, sounds like a lot of fun. As far as the seat, its just vinyl on the sides and back of the upright and what im told is a fairly high grade tweed on the seat and back. He fixed a few springs and re-padded everything (doubled up on the seat bottom) and covered it all for me for $200 cash. Ive had some other stuff done by him so he said he gave me a good deal. I didnt really look at color options cause i knew i wanted all black interior. Thanks for the compliments guys!

Update....weather here has been pretty crappy. I drove to work once last week and the brakes were questionable. Drove some this weekend and theres for sure cause for concern. Im not sure what exactly is wrong but i dont really want to put money into the drum brakes if im gonna be converting to disc anyway. So, that leaves me sitting. Ive decided to move up my tear down date from this summer to right now. So I guess starting as soon as I get some time and the garage isnt too cold to move in, Im gonna take it down to a rolling chassi and start with rust removal and chassi saver. Ill most likely replace any hard brakelines that look suspect and anything else. Ill be on the hunt soon for bushings so if anyone knows where to locate those please let me know. Cant afford the brakes yet but maybe by the time I get done tearing down and cleaning i can talk the bank (wife) into giving me some cash. Any advice on the teardown process is welcome!

I havent done a ton of research and I am in no way a mechanic. So ill be relying on lots of help from you guys and good old google to get this stuff done. What all needs to be replaced/modded for the conversion? Is it a pretty basic swap or is it a more difficult job than that? Also tanker, my brother lives in Culver City, Im sure I could convince him to meet up with you and grab whatever parts you may be willing to sell.

• 2 weeks later...

Its been a while so I figured Id post an update. I came into a little money so this thing is gonna move a little faster than i planned! Im gonna start breaking it down for soda blasting this weekend and get it off to body and paint ASAP. I have a buddy whose uncle owns a junkyard and he says hes got a 5 speed for me so Ive got to follow up on that and see if its true. Throw down for some disc brakes and im pretty much there. Ill post pics of the progress as I go along and Im sure Ill have plenty of questions as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys, Quick update. Spent about half the day tearing down. Im really stoked with the progress I made in such a short amount of time and really excited at the looks of things. No Rust!!!! I had quite a few stripped and/or frozen bolts and screws but I either snapped them off or drilled them out and all is good. Heres a few pics, nothing yall havent seen before but I wanted to share.image-8.jpgimage-9.jpgimage-10.jpgimage-11.jpgimage-12.jpg

Yup. Getting a full paintjob. Gonna get soda blasted first tho. Got the dash and a bunch of little stuff off today. Hoping to borrow a cherry picker next weekend and get the motor and tranny out so i can get the cab off. What are your thoughts on salvaging the wiring vs a new harness. The wires and connectors are still in decent shape but it would br nice to have an updated fuse box. And if i replace the harness can i get rid of all the regulators and relays mounted on the inner fender?

• 2 months later...

Hey guys-

Been a while since I updated this thread. Heres the latest....

Replaced the timing chain and water pump. New oilpan,head and valve cover gaskets. Gave the engine a deep clean and coat of paint. Tore down the rear brakes and cleaned and painted the rear end. Frame goes in for powder coat on Friday. Im looking for new leaf spring bushings if anyone can help with that. Once the frame is back Ill get the rear under it again, working on locating all my parts for the front end rebuild. Havent taken a lot of pics cause most of it is just dirty tear-down but heres a pic of the rear end with a little decoration to the pumpkin. Sorry for the bad cell pic.

image-13.jpg

• Like 1