my 1971 datsun521 (dotty) project drift truck!!

2/ A five speed won't help much. I imagine drifting is in the lower 2 or 3 gears?

3/ A 720 differential? The 521 is a 4.375 so I'm assuming you would like even higher like 4.625 or even a 520s 4.875 to keep the revs way up in the lower gears? Don't think 720 gearing is the way to go for drifting.

6/ Disc brakes? All you need for drifting is a center mount hydraulic hand brake. Rear drums are more than enough to lock up the rears. They will need constant adjusting though.

2/3/6/ are more for a good road truck and not so much for strictly drifting.

With the 4.38's and my L20b I can slide in 2nd gear with drift spare lanvigator 185-40-14's in the back, I can barely kick out 195-50-15 S.drives in low speed corners.

3rd gear? I'll try at the track tomorrow with the 185's, I don't know if I have enough power.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A grand+ for all four corners if you are spending a grand+ for breaks should goto a salvage yard get all 4 off a Toyota 4runner front brakes and make brackets only cost about 500 to go that route and you'd have 4 pots all 4 corners

I am thinking all out safety. if you gonna do the work and want to keep the truck for the rest of your life might as well go all out. Get professionally fabricated brackets etc... 

2/ A five speed won't help much. I imagine drifting is in the lower 2 or 3 gears?

3/ A 720 differential? The 521 is a 4.375 so I'm assuming you would like even higher like 4.625 or even a 520s 4.875 to keep the revs way up in the lower gears? Don't think 720 gearing is the way to go for drifting.

6/ Disc brakes? All you need for drifting is a center mount hydraulic hand brake. Rear drums are more than enough to lock up the rears. They will need constant adjusting though.

2/3/6/ are more for a good road truck and not so much for strictly drifting.

shhhh was trying to drift away from drift truck to decent street truck idea  :ninja: