Which wagon differential R160 or R180

nickel&dime

I found some diffentrials for sale. Which would fit my wagon. I'm a noob buy I think the R180 would fit cuz the solid rear right?

* One R-160 open 3.7 ratio with Datsun 510 stub axles attached.

* One R-180 open 3.9 ratio with Datsun 720 truck stub axles attached.

These will bolt into most Datsuns, '68-'85 and will work in Subarus, as long as you remove the older stub axles. $150 for the R-160 and $200 for the R-180.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

R is for independent rear suspension IRS. That's a differential bolted solidly to the frame with two short driveshafts to each wheel. The 510 sedan has this.

The 510 goon has a solid H-190 rear axle riding on springs. Nothing R- will work on your goon.

• Like 1

R is for independent rear suspension IRS. That's a differential bolted solidly to the frame with two short driveshafts to each wheel. The 510 sedan has this.

The 510 goon has a solid H-190 rear axle riding on springs. Nothing R- will work on your goon.

Thanks for the quick reply how would I get lsd?

does the A10 have the h190 as well?

• 1 month later...

A Lincoln Locker is best for going in a straight line. Auto-X is all turns and curves and will bring out all the worst in a welded diff. For one, a locked differential will induce under steer.

Haven't heard of axle splines going bad on an H-190 but maybe this is just that the tires are not large enough and the vehicle heavy enough. The tire acts like a fuse by losing traction well before the torque can twist anything.

So as a goon owner I'm familiar with the custom rear end options out there but has anyone here pushing 300bhp, lock-welded a h190 in a goon and had success for auto-x purposes? Or do the axels go out quickly with that kind of power?

easy answer no .... tough answer if u can afford 300hp then u can afford a locker .. do it right