Droppin' Dimes

Little introduction before I bore u with yet another build thread.

I'm 22, working at an independent repair shop for the last year. looking to take my ASE soon, and Honda certified. Brother is currently at an Acura dealership, and has a 720 hes building slowly but surely. Wanted a 510 since I was 17, but played with about 3 240s until this year I decided to get the car I really wanted.

Searched Craigslist for months then finally found a decent 2 door shell. It was completely stripped no interior, motor/trans, brake lines, trim, lights. might have been hasty but starting from nothing but bare metal is the best I guess, best thing about it was really minimal rust and pretty straight body except for front fenders.

Plan is to just get the car on the road that's why I plan on single cam after a while driving it and saving more money i want to do sr20 and it'll be setup for EFI but well see, not in a rush for sr. And no car wasn't running so I didn't pull out a good motor.

Keep in mind I've only had the car 3 weeks on Sunday. I wanted to wait until I was all done to make a thread but feel like it would be good now for advice, opinions and questions if I have.

How I got it

utnj.jpg

ujt8.jpg

qfx2.jpg

1s6b.jpg

kakt.jpg

mostly surface rust on the inside except for passanger floor board has eaten through, so ill have to cut it out and weld in some sheet metal.

So first on my list was replacing everything front end related. Got the car in the garage and tore it down.

7sa2.jpg

pfb7.jpg

While it was apart I thought to spatter paint the fender wells, went to 3 oreillys and bought all the 2 cans they had haha. I laid it on heavy. Love the way it looks but the pictures don't do justice. Got the idea from that jay Leno 510 interview.

0n9w.jpg

edns.jpg

Picked up some tail lights, rear bumper, vents, license plate lights, and a rear windshield the first week i got the car.

v2ce.jpg

Ordered some Troy ermish control arms, still waiting on those. came home to ball joints, strut/tension rod bushings, tie rod ends and sleeves. Still have to order idler arm and drag link.

y2n6.jpg

Dropped my steering box off today to get rebuilt at ABS power brake in orange, got the car in my name, title transferred, and waiting to go the dmv to get the historical plates, the blue and yellow one.

• Like 1
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Picked up a set of 280 converted coils and a tank off Craigslist. came with everything calipers, hubs, new wheel bearings don't have a pic of those right now. turns out guy I bought it from has been in the game a while and gave me some valuable contacts. ill be keeping in touch with him for bump steer spacers, rear disc brackets, he makes a lot of shit.

ffx.JPG

cg84.jpg

0tve.jpg

Always been against drilled and slotted, but there's a place by my shop that gives my boss good deals for his personal cars so he ordered me a set. Same price as premium rotors would've cost me. Waiting for those to come Tuesday.

Picked up a front bumper clean shape, I hooked the kid up with a free 240 front lip few days before.

o4bc.JPG

Congrats. 

Can't wait to see more.

thank you, I have more just have to put it together

Right on bro you lucky dog.I'm so sorry your going to be working at Honda though.I kid I kid.lol

hahaha as much as I hated Honda, I don't mind working on them compared to most cars.  I would like to go to Toyota, but the program I did was for Honda, but well see what route I go im still at the independent shop.

Thanks guys, ill have a little more later tonight. Not much but waiting on parts, cleaning and painting some things.

Goal is if things keep going the way they are, have my front end back together, and hopefully pick up a complete single cam setup by the end of next week which will be one month. Then start working on all motor related things.

What camber plates are those?

The guy I bought the coilover setup has a machinist that makes them, and he claims its the same guy that makes it for techno toy. If you're interested I could find out more for you.

Not much of an update just trying to do little things while waiting for parts,

Took the rest apart wanted to put together my tie rod ends to match the lengths but came across this on my "NEW" moog tie rod ends,

dxq2.jpg

3dh9.jpg

That lip on the threads on the left side of each picture won't allow the sleeve to thread in, was going to try fix it but thought shouldn't have to with new parts, so I'm sending it back

Painted my steering knuckle, and tension/strut rod flat black, not into flashy colors but the flash makes it look grey

f56c.jpg

58gj.jpg

So once I get my steering box back from being rebuilt, buy a new idler arm and drag link my whole front end will be redone.

Did some sanding here and there on the rear of the car

5wi5.jpg

Tried bending some brake lines, that didn't work out too well haha so I think I'll leave it up to someone with experience at it.

Spoke to my neighbor about cutting out and welding in some sheet metal, the passenger floor board has eaten through not major though, so once I get the front end back together I'm going to roll it over to his house

tq0i.jpg

Spoke to a guy that makes In tank pump setups, he has one more complete tank so I'm going to pick one up tomorrow. ill post pictures once I get it

Then this week try order a can am box, get my crossmember flipped, and start focusing on motor matters.

• 2 weeks later...

Havent updated In a week, not much but sure haven't slowed down

Picked up my steering box
gfbw.jpg

Rotors came in and painted my hubs to make them look nice new races, bearing, seals, just missing the retainers for the cotter pins so need to find some.

59ce.jpg

Picked up a complete single cam setup last weekend, motor/trans, harness, and I had an ecu from my old 240
The last few days I've been stripping everything I don't need so I can pressure wash this dirty ass thing, and do some stuff while motors out and more accessible

xj6l.jpg

Got my title, papers, and insured it to save me another trip

Picked up
Water pump and belt for wp/alt
Thermostat
Valve cover gasket
Intake manifold gasket set
Egr block off plate

Received my external 255 walboro but found a 510 tank modified for an in tank pump so might buy that and give my brother the external, not sure yet.

gx4u.jpg

My control arms are on their way

Next on my list to buy is can am box and McKinney cross member or just have mine flipped. So I can get the motor set in and start working on wiring, so I can get closer to driving it haha.

All I need for my front end to be back together and rolling again is tie rod ends, cross member, drag link and idler arm and everything will be nice and new :) 

ABS Power Brake in Orange, they specialize in steering and brakes.

I paid $150 because my shop does frequent work with them, but don't see a regular customer paying much more.

Awesome thanks man.  Looking forward to seeing progress, looks like you're off to a good start.

• 2 weeks later...

haven't updated in a while but still moving along.

about 90% done with the bay got a couple more touch up spots and then one more full layer

wgn1.jpg\

picked up a flipped xmember at the eagle rock swapmeet

got my control arms and painted them

il40.jpg

my front end is 90% complete just waiting on spindle nut retainers, and 280zx brake hoses, and need to get a set of 14' wheels so I can get it rolling again. once that is achieved ill be working on bending brake lines, or maybe have a shop do it not too sure yet

ordering a McKinney trans cross member, I never liked the one with the ring, due to stories of ground clearance issues. 

emailed them this week and they told me they have a flat style one now and this is the picture I received

kyj9.jpg

so I will be ordering that too this week

bought a new 510 bmc few weeks ago so will be returning that for a 280z one seeing that I will be running drums in the rear for time being.

getting closer to driving her every day, minus the fact that im missing everything interior related

exterior ive almost acquired everything just missing turn signals

if anyone has anything interior related that theyre willing to sell pm me

• Like 1

ABS Power Brake in Orange, they specialize in steering and brakes.

I paid $150 because my shop does frequent work with them, but don't see a regular customer paying much more.

Wow...that's a great deal.

We sent one out to a place called Meridian in SoCal and it cost us $300.

I was thinking of doing mine when the rainy season starts here.....

....there's another customer of ours who wants his done also....possible discount for 2??.....I'll be giving this place a call....

Thx for the tip.

Wow...that's a great deal.

We sent one out to a place called Meridian in SoCal and it cost us $300.

I was thinking of doing mine when the rainy season starts here.....

....there's another customer of ours who wants his done also....possible discount for 2??.....I'll be giving this place a call....

Thx for the tip.

you would have to give them a call, and no problem

ABS Power Brake

233 N Lemon St, Orange, CA 92866

(714) 771-6549

• Like 1

just ordered a painless fuse box for my chassis wiring, was going to order a complete harness but just going to run my own wiring, thought it would be easier than finding a 510 harness and itll be all new wiring not ancient crusty wires :lol:

going to run the bare minimum anyway

most of you have probably seen it before, for those who haven't

ssi8.jpg

just ordered a can am for me and my brothers 720 , for the engine harness

need to find some 14' wheels to clear the zx brakes, some z or zx wheels

really need to start finding interior pieces but its so hard, dash is my biggest concern. plan on 2 bride buckets, and hopefully can find a back seat to fill the hole.

• Like 2

picked up a custom dash for time being until I can source a stock one guy was selling it on here and craigslist

its molded to a dash frame so I can keep mine and piece it together

7f5w.jpg

like the simplicity

picked up some 280zx wheels with some 4x4 size tires, also for the time being so I can get the car rolling again

rogn.png

getting started on some chassis wiring, and sending it to get brake lines done within the next week or so.

once it gets back, I can drop the in motor/tranny and work on getting a driveshaft made.

next on my list to buy is a trans crossmember, and some seats.

getting close but yet still so far haha