Cab lift

sebpv

Hi Ratsuners,

First off I wanna introduce myself since Im new to the forum. My name is Sebastien, I live in Cold Lake, AB, Canada- ATM... I bought my truck on Aug 30. I traveled 600km to bring my beauty home. It never complained although the suspension is rather harsh. It is lowered up front via the torsions bars and lowered In the back using 2in blocks and some thick ass 4th leaf spring and no bump stop. From the look of it, the shocks are maxed out... I just started noticing some injuries that were not taken care of and I hate to admit but i paid ridiculously too much for the condition of the truck, but oh well. Thats part of the "live and learn" process that we go through...

Anyway, few days ago, I attended to the floor pans that were buttered with some pain in the ass black goo. My current issue is the cab mount areas: right from the bath i noticed that the mounts were rusted through so I cut around them and was about to weld in some sheetmetal but a new problem arised: the cab mount reinforcements are rusted to the wall. A cavity take place in lieu. So before I weld the floor, I gotta weld in some wall patch.

So to make it easier on me, I wanna raise the cab. Im currently stuck with all the mounts removed but dont know whats holding the cab in place. Can you guys tell me how much more need to be removed to free the can and raise it of about 6 inches please? I filtered all the forums for cab removal or cab mounts and nothing obvious shows up. I hope Im not too confusing. Thanks for the help everyone!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Your problem is the one piece steering column. It's bolted to the under side of the dash and the cab can't be raised much without it bending. I raised my 620 cab about 4 inches and used a jack to force the column up against the dash so I could put the bolts back in. I loosened the steering box bolts slightly to relieve this but there was still a good wow in the column. 

Eventually I changed a bunch of other stuff and used a 720 column that has a small U joint and a spline so it collapses in an accident.

thanks very much mike. I thought my real issue was all the engine bay wiring and hoses but I guess that is a bit of a relief...Ima search about how to remove it next. I really cant work much around the frame mounts.