LZ2.1 Long Rod - Engine build thread

Draynor

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9.787 with KA24E pistons.

Not a fan of hone and ring jobs. The bores have to have some wear on them you can't put back. I've rebuilt an A14, L16 and at least one L20B by this method and within a year they were blowing blue again.

87mm Z22 block bored to match 89mm KA24E pistons on Z22 rods and crank. Brand new 2.3 Liters and 9.787 compression.

You need 1mm bored from the block (2mm overall but 1mm removed from the walls) The rest is a set of rings. I think mine were about $88? Cylinders were $20 each

• Like 1

If an L20B is 95 hp and 2.3 is a 15% displacement increase then it should make about 110 RWHP. This doesn't even add a few hp for the compression increase. A big weber and a mild cam and you have conservatively 120 hp. Hell Byron got 134 from a 2.2 with side drafts.

Drive it! It's new, not 200K on it!! Never baby them when new or rebuilt but don't over rev. Long pulls in 3rd gear out on the highway. Do not run at constant RPM. Keep revved up and changing RPMs. Check oil and water often, keep eyes on gauges. The first few hours are critical to breaking in the rings.

• Like 1

Between the two threads Mike, I have learned so much.

Thank you sir.

I love the motor in my car now.

That doesn't mean I am set on it.

If I were to come up with any of these blocks, it seems to be more about getting the machining done.

The Z22 would need less machining. Which is what I see at this moment of the most single thing cost.

Now I see why they went with the Z22E block.

It all makes since now.

Like I said, I learned a lot!

maybe someone else has more questions, but I am good now.

Thanks again!

You could do what I am doing. Stock l20 crank and block with NAPS-Z flattop pistons with 6 inch rods. Run with a u67. Definitely brings up the torque and some power. Obviously camshaft and carbs make a difference as well. I am building mine with a performance cam and 44mm Mikunis. But the piston and rod set up requires no boring and I dont know how much more performance you would get from changing the displacement vs changing the rod length.