720 4x4 ROUGH suspension

thedude91

So I bought a 1981 720 4x4 with 83000 miles on it last week...after getting it running, I noticed it was a very rough ride. I went over a railroad crossing at 15mph and my rear end went airborne. I replaced shocks and it didn't help. (Didn't hurt either because the old shocks held no pressure)

I looked at the springs and noticed that there were 5 leaves on each side on the rear. Is this stock?

What should I try next? I can't drive this beast without hurting my back. I'm desperate for help. Pictures are great too. I'm new to 720s

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Go slower. This is the nature of the beast. It's a 4x4 and they are meant to go off road over rough terrain. To do this the suspension has to be up to the task or it will bottom out. I suppose you could remove a leaf but the body will sag lower.

Don't know about the earlier 720s but the '84 4x4 has three leaves. Maybe with one over load.

One of the springs is broken.... 3rd one down at the front.

Really only two springs working by the look of it.

The bottom two springs do nothing and only work when there is a big load on the bed..

The 4x4 spring should have 4 leaves a 7mm and an 8mm thick upper pair and two 12mm pair under them for a spring constant of 442 pounds per inch.

There is a Heavy Duty  model 720 with 8mm and a 14mm upper pair and two 14mm lowers for  a 649 pound spring constant.  Maybe someone put those on?