Brake pads cut at an angle?

sreams

I just returned two sets of brake pads in a row to Autozone thinking they were manufactured incorrectly. According to this, the pad material is supposed to be cut at an angle:

https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=2044522&cc=1378065

How does this make any sense? If this is correct, which way do they go on? (two are angled one way and two the other way)

-Scott

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike is right!  These are for the the Akebono manufactured Lockheed Disc Brakes.  The also came on the RL411 and first generation [1968 and on] 510s.  They are indeed pivoted about one corner and when they reach the end of their life, the backing plated are parallel to the disc.  Spread the backing plates and it will be obvious which tapered set goes on which wheel.

Before you spread the plates and retract the pistons I recommend using an old soft bristle tooth brush to gently remove the builtup brake dust from the outside of the rubber boots.  The boots are what retracts the pistons when you let off the brakes and removing the crud lets them work properly.

Edited by MikeRL411
  • Like 1

Late 510s  (A10) used normal (square cross-section) pads, same ones as the 210 (B310) and they were identical to Honda brake pads (and cross reference) of the same era.  So I was a bit surprised when I got the "angle" pads for my '72, but sure enough that's the way they're supposed to be.