1980 Nissan/Datsun 210 Rear End Bad :'(

stevenzak

Hello my rear end (rear differential) on my Datsun 210 is no good. Does anyone know where I can find one or rebuild my current one?

I heard a loud noise on my rear while driving. now everytime I drive the car it has a horrible noise like clank clank. It definetly sounds like something broke inside the differential.

It is possible that the bearing inside went and the noise that is hitting can be one of the axcels that are slipping according to a guys theory. Well does anyone know where I can buy a used/rebuild one? zip code 32825 Fl.

My car is down for awhile and im very sad :'(

Any help would be greatly apprieciated

1980 Datsun 210 1.2 sedan1268796_649881395045253_1905362734_o.jpg

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mystery sounds are hard to diagnose. Could be a rusted tail pipe, a broken shock mount, a broken coil spring, a damaged/loose link.... anything. Get under and check for anything loose that could be causing it. Have you ever checked the rear end oil???? (little late now if it's buggered) but this is usually the cause of most problems, the lack of maintenance.

Just putting it out there... unless someone has swapped the front end/fenders/grill/etc that's a '79

MM hard to believe but the square headlights were introduced in December of '79 or about half way through the '80 model year. So it is possible to have an '80 round eyes car.

I seen a few 80s like this so i think its factory

The sound is with out a doubt the rear end

Now i tried finding a replacement but no luck

Is there any possible way to sway the entire rear end?

Lets say from a corolla or a mazda?

I really prefer to keep it original if possible

Also no rust on the car at all

You can swap in the rear end out of a 79-83 200sx or A10 as long as it's a 4 link and not leaf springs.  I tried to swap in a H165 to my stock drive train but my drive shaft ended up being about 1" too long. Good luck with your search. Good looking car btw! :thumbup:

would a Nissan/Datsun R180 K 4.11 Rear Differential (mid 80's) fit on my car without modifications?

4.11 ratio with a 37:9 gear count.

Like not changing axel, drive shaft and what not

Sorry im a complete novice at this so please be as detailed as possible

thank you

By the way you can get the drive shaft cut and balanced, or build a new one at driveline.

Note: I did this and payed $300 for the drive shaft (so i cannot do crazy modifications with that)

And thanks glad you like her :)

The trucks are going to be leaf springs so you would have to remove your 4 link mounts and re weld them to the new axle. It's been done. And a A10 is an early 80's 510 or violet. I was lucky enough to find the H165 with disk brakes. I've swapped the entire drivetrain and also had to have a new driveline made. Is the R180 out of a roadster? If it is they're also leaf springs. And I don't know what kind of rear end 710s have sorry.

Find out whats wrong first. Hell it might even be an axle bearing... have it replaced!!!!! $20 part and $20 to have it pressed on. What about the rear U joint? Did you check it? Again $15 part and half hour to change yourself. You've said nothing that convinces me of what the problem is just "The sound is with out a doubt the rear end"  Have you even checked the differential oil?

So why change everything anyway? Just change the third member, the BUM with the gears. 

You have an H-150 with either a 3.70 or 3.889 ratio differential.

Forget anything with R these are for IRS rear ends. You need H
Forget truck. They are 6 bolt rims and at least 57" wide with leaf springs.

Like said earlier already...

A10 or early 200sx. 

You can look all over the place for a 210 or the later model B210s to find a replacement pumpkin. 

When doing that, I would also get smaller wheels to help save the new rear gear. 

I'm with Mike though. Diagnose first. It's free. 

Jack stands and a friend who likes beer are always great tools to have around. 

I have a New Drive shaft.

New bearing on rear passenger axle

The middle piece where both axles connect to is broken. The gears inside seem to be at fault. I cant check the car because a mechanic has it at the moment.( I am 100% sure it is not any bearings two mechanics said so)

Is there anyone who sells a rebuilt kit? Any connections to anyone who has this rear end?

Can you please tell me the year make and model of the A10 and 200sx are. I am not familure with these cars.

Sorry for the annoying question guys I've been without a car for the past 3 weeks and couting :/. Ive checked most junkyards in Orlando none had any leads on either a Datsun 210 or a 200sx.

Looks like in the worst case scenario I would have to get a rear end from another car and modify it to fit mines, but I don't want to go on that route.

Thanks for all the replies

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_Violet

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_Silvia

That was difficult. 

Again...

You are looking for a rear gear(H150) from a 1976-1978 B210

or

Diff assy or gear from a 1979-1981 210/B310

or

Diff assy from a 1979-1982? HLA10(510) excl. wagon

or

Diff assy from a 1980-1983 Datsun 200sx

You will probably need to source one from a salvage yard from out in the NW.