Anyone in Seattle area to help with rear end swap?

Koin

Hey all,

Looks like the rear end in the 720 is pretty toast. Passenger side hub is all wobbly and rubs hard and diff is a sloppy whore.

Would like to do a pathfinder h233 swap, however I don't have a welder or a grinder. I can prob pick up a grinder though but certainly do not have enough for a welder (if required).

I've been looking into this swap for a bit now but don't have quite enough info on what has to be modified for it to work.

I know you have to grind/cut the bar tabs off.

I know that the rear end is 1" bigger on both sides. This is alright with me- we don't have to cut it.

Do you have to weld anything for the leaf spring mounting points?

What hardware would I need for mounting the leaf springs since the axle is a larger diameter?

Does the drive line in the 84 720 match the h233? (Do I need to get a drive line made to fit?)

Depending on responses I may do this either this weekend (Friday the 18th) or the weekend after (Friday the 25th).

We'll figure out some type of payment (beer, smoke?) for helping out- not to mention it would be awesome to chat with some local ratters and shoot the shit.

• Like 1
  • Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did some searching there are some 90-93 D21's in the local yards. Might be able to nab a H233B off one of those if we're lucky. Buuut- need a welder anyways for the perches. So...

Who's got a welder? I got a small apartment garage with non-grounded plug-ins that are adapted from a light socket. I don't even really have the option of using a welder here if I bought one. I know one of you around Seattle area has to have one!

Also I could really use a hand lifting the rear end as I don't want to smoosh the wife trying to make her help out with it.

I don't have a lot- but I'm real savvy with computers (I build, repair, and test them) and various electronics. If you have wiring issues I'm your man! Also as said before beer, smoke, might even have a few snacks I could throw at you haha. I'm pretty desperate- this is our daily driver so gotta get this thing together soon.

Easier to find another 2wd 720 axle. And it fits.

Why the WD21 Pathfinder??? It has a difficulty rating of 12. Why not the D21 Hardbody? It at least has leaf springs like your 720. Measure between the leaf springs the 720 may be the same width. Also has the H233 and an optional LSD.  The Pathfinder also has the LSD but only in 4.375 and 4.625 ratios. Only the Pathfinder has the optional rear disc brakes though.

At the very least it's an inch wider on each side.

Yes you'll need to get the driveshaft end changed maybe shortened too.

Have you checked to see if your 14" rims will clear the Pathfinder brake drums or caliper????

Easier said than done- sadly there are very few older Nissan's in the yards with this matching H190. Most of the D21's don't have a lot on them in the JY either- esp running gear. But pathfinder's? LOADS of them.

I didn't think about the larger drums- I'd hoped to get the disc brakes which I thought were rather small being on the back and would fit these stock wheels. (I used to own a 2dr 91 SE pathy).

I'm not new to all things cars- esp when it comes to metal work. I've done level 12 and beyond metal work for 10 years. Grinding and cutting is cake work so that's not the part I'm worried about. I've got the skill just not the tools at the moment.

Right now I'd rather not just throw another part at it to get me by, esp if said part is going to fall apart too. I'd rather work towards the final goal with the same amount of money and a little more elbow grease. You of all people should know what I mean here Mike!

Edit: I will still need to get the driveshaft made too as you say- which might run me about 200? I could probably get that done on the 25th. What do you know about the hardware side of it? Need larger U-bolts and what about the plate as well?

Thanks as always :-)

Your project is looking sweet man. After I looked at how you did it was what made me know I could do it. That's true inspiration right there!

I guess I should have just asked you personally- but I was wondering what your next step is?  U-bolts and a plate would probably do it, but maybe some custom cut/bent vertical supports under the plate?

Pick n pull has an 81 720 listed in Arlington.

NissanPickup 85 9/16/2013 - Might be a chance it has what I need.

NissanPickup 84 7/31/2013 - More than likely a pile of bones.

This is what I got on a search there. There was a couple 86's but I think they were D21's.

But again... the easiest street isn't always the best one...

Yeah I abandoned the idea. Too wide but it was interesting.

I just wanted more details on why it was too wide. I don't know how much smaller the older datsuns would be (if at all)- but my 720 has between 1.5 to 2" of clearance- nothing a fender roll wouldn't take care of. If the multiple sources I found are correct and it is around an inch wider each side- then it's perfectly within tolerance.

quMzZAU.jpg?1

In any case- I'll be measuring everything myself at the JY to double check all clearances. But right now I don't see any reason as to why this would be a real difficult swap. My truck isn't even low- so it's not like I have much to worry about at the moment anyways.

NissanPickup 85 9/16/2013 - Might be a chance it has what I need.

NissanPickup 84 7/31/2013 - More than likely a pile of bones.

This is what I got on a search there. There was a couple 86's but I think they were D21's.

But again... the easiest street isn't always the best one...

don't forget to search Datsun ;)

• Like 1

don't forget to search Datsun ;)

Lots of peeps looking to buy rear ends but no one selling one.. bummer. With my luck they'd probably be across the country anyways lol

Edit: Durr- thought you said Ratsun lmao... (That's what I get for reading at 9am!) I'll run a search for that and see what comes up. I'm not too keen on buying a diff as old as mine though. Somehow I just don't think that would be fixing a whole lot (esp since you can't even inspect the gears on a H190).

Basically- I don't want to end up searching for another H190 in a month. Or then deciding I should have gone with something better. I'd rather spend more money on something solid than waste it on luck- which I don't have a lot of.

I did some more investigation today and found out where the issue stemmed from. The Passenger rear drum is out of round. So, the ridge that builds up on the edge of the drum started to dig into the brake pad on a certain area. This in turn has damaged the bearings after prolonged abuse and is probably what caused slop in the differential too.

I took a file to the ridge and adjusted the pads some and now it only very slightly rubs the drum. This at least buys me some time until I can look into the rear end swap some more. So that's at least some what of a win today.  B)

• Like 1