engine pops out the carb and kills it

Justin Tawney

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You CAN just mark the chain, but that's assuming it's in the right place to begin with.  It's better to set it to TDC to be absolutely sure.  You don't need a battery to turn the engine over.  If you don't have one, now would be the time to get a 27mm socket for the crank pulley nut so you can "bar" the engine over.  You'll need to do this to reset the valve clearances hot anyway after you have the head milled...  And, if you have the head milled (not saying you'll have to, but milkshake oil is usually a warped head blowing the gasket, not just the gasket letting go) you'll likely need to reset the valve timing to accomodate the now shorter crank-to-cam difference.

ok so the middle two pistons had the milkshake stuff in it the outer two looked fine the head gasket was new but one spot looked a little messed up. I think where coolant comes through. I don't know what to do from here the heads off and piston 2 and 3 look gross look ok but gros with water and oil piston 1 and 4 look fine and the tensioner wedge fell out :( this really sucks.. just got a new gasket on the timing belt cover and put on a few days ago..

Be sure to block the timing chain before attempting to change the head gasket. If you do not know what I mean find out how to do this. It will save you 4-6 hours of unnecessary work if you don't

Welcome to the club.

Post some pictures. 

Unlikely but It's possible. All you can do now is replace the gaskets and go on. Head and block surface must be spotless, bolt holes clean of rust, dirt or gasket debris. Lightly oil the reusable head bolts and instal gasket dry. There should be two gasket and head locating dowels in the bock.  Tighten in this order...

RAD

9..10 ..... to 20 pounds

Using the same pattern tighten to 40 pounds

Using the same pattern tighten to 60 pounds

Done

Manifold nuts... 9-12 pounds 

The more I hear about this motor the more I think it was severely over heated. If the head was badly warped it will try to bend the camshaft. Running it like that will snap it. Did you check it for being warped???

.....And, if you have the head milled (not saying you'll have to, but milkshake oil is usually a warped head blowing the gasket, not just the gasket letting go) ....

it was straight didn't look warped at the head gasket was fine. if the timing chain cover gasket wasn't put on right would it cause the water to leak in to the engine? because half the oil was water and I didn't even have it running long enough for it to over heat. got it running revved it up went around the block drove it for about a minute maybe two then noticed the oil leak that I haven't fixed yet was dripping milky instead of just oil which it has done before.

Yes the water pump can rub the inside of the timing cover a wear a hole. The rad inlet to the pump and the outlet from the pump to the block could leak around the gasket.

Here's the timing cover back side. The round thing is the back side of the water pump. The two squareish holes are the square holes are water to the block. There is a small canal cut around most of it to drain outside should there be a leak.

Z22timingcoverLarge.jpg

"Head didn't look warped"

They rarely LOOK warped.  I've had ONE that you could see the warpage- thing was a banana.  Caused by running it with nearly no water for over 20 minutes when the radiator top tank came apart.  Amazing the whole engine didn't melt down internally.  I've had other heads that looked fine but put a big chunk of Starrett Steel (machinists straightedge) on it, and I could fit a .012 feeler blade in the middle.

That broken cam really could only be cause by a few things- a warped head being the most common.  But, if someone removed the cam towers, they likely didn't realize they have to be aligned (manual says they have to be line-bored again, though it's not REALLY necessary unless you can't get them to align) which will also do that.  Or, the cam towers got no oil to the rear bearings and siezed, but you'd see that damage in the cam towers (plus the back half of the cam would have been stuck).

• 2 weeks later...

got a new cam put on right this time cleaned out the engine bay a lot. don't have money to paintit yet but im going out of timing hopefully boy next week ill have the timing cover back on and get her running did a lot of body work also. need to get the rest of the dents out bondo it hopefully reducing the amount of bondo that was on it. some spots were almost half inch thgick and when I get more money give it  paint job.