• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hehehe. you gonna have to learn to search google first next time. somethin like: "ratsun wagon 5 speed transmission" or something

the same trans that would bolt to a L20 would also bolt to an L16 and L18,

in regular 510s and 620s you can put a (hard to find) dogleg 5 speed, 

a 5 speed from a later 620, or from the 280zx

None of those will be a straight bolt in affair. 

I'm guessing that you have a 4 speed. Short/26ish inches long. 

The 5 speeds will all be 31ish inches long. Sans dogleg, which is short. 

Transmission mounts and driveline will need to be modified to accept a long trans. 

There are other answers-but you will need to search for the others. 

i am wagon illiterate but i can tell you that for 

620 4speed to 5 speed, like flat cat said you need shorter driveshaft and different transmount

my undercarriage has bolt holes for both 4 and 5 speed trans mounts, and for me 

i had to get a shorter driveshaft (to fit the longer 5 speed trans) which i sourced from a 5 speed truck.

Don`t forget the 720 short trans ,, but a little work is needed to make it work with an L motor.

looks complicated but it`s basically removing 12-15 bolts and a snap ring ,, not that hard for the reward you get

how to below, clickity clickity

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/28473-how-to-put-together-a-shortshaft-5-speed-for-a-l20b/

If you use longer Z or 620 5speed here`s a quote from CarterB i used to shorten mine and it came out perfect.

Welcome to Ratsun tr8er! :thumbup:

We'll get you sorted.

Regarding driveshafts:

159DSCF0619.JPG

here are four with some specs:

top : sedan shortened for z 5spd - 37 3/8" between yoke centers (~5 3/16 shorter than stock)

next : sedan stock - 42 9/16" between yoke centers

next : wagon shortened (and re-tubed) for z 5spd - 43 11/16" between yoke centers (5 3/16" shorter than stock)

bottom : wagon stock. - 48 7/8" between yoke centers. Note larger diameter than sedan

It's a bit of a stretch to use a stock sedan driveline on a wagon with a long tail 5spd.

--carter

crossmember i used that made it a slam dunk type install i bought here

http://vg30.com/510parts.html

• Like 1

Don`t forget the 720 short trans ,, but a little work is needed to make it work with an L motor.

looks complicated but it`s basically removing 12-15 bolts and a snap ring ,, not that hard for the reward you get

how to below, clickity clickity

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/28473-how-to-put-together-a-shortshaft-5-speed-for-a-l20b/

If you use longer Z or 620 5speed here`s a quote from CarterB i used to shorten mine and it came out perfect.

crossmember i used that made it a slam dunk type install i bought here

http://vg30.com/510parts.html

you know, i saw that thread (didnt really read it) and i gotta admit it did seem like a lot of work, but they way you put it:

"a few bolts and snap ring" makes me realize its not that bad!

• Like 1

what 5speed tranny can I fit on my l20 ? and do I have to change the diff?

FS5C71A, FS5W71A, FS5C71B, FS5W71B, FS5W63A, FS5R90A, F5C71B will all bolt up to the L20B. Most of these are not a good idea though. Too heavy, too big, too long, stronger by 4 or 5 times what is needed, wrong gearing, one isn't an over drive 5th.

Depends on what you want from a 5 speed. Higher top speed or better mileage? Forget higher top speed. 4th gear will always go faster than 5th. An overdrive 5th gear simply reduces highway cruise RPMs and gains you a small MPG increase. If you drive mostly in the city a 5 speed is a waste of time and bother. That's all they do.

You don't have to change the rear diff, but you could. Why do you ask?

• 2 weeks later...