batteries!?

pueblamartin

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Your old battery should have a number on it.  Usually something like 75-72J

For my 510 sedan, I bought an optima yellow top with top post....  It's smaller and lighter weight than the original, but I'm not sure it's light enough, and small enough to be worth the difference in price.  The top posts on the battery are still pretty close to the hood, which I'm not comfortable with.

After that experience, for my 620, I just bought the smallest, SIDE post battery I could find at the local parts store (Super Start Premium 75-72J, 650 cold cranking amps, 815 normal cranking amps).  It's shorter than my Optima with the posts being on the side, a bit fatter, maybe 5-8 lbs heavier, but fits in the original spot just fine.  Normally I just buy Walmart's Ever Start batteries, they are the same manufacturer as a Napa and other parts store brand batteries but less cost.  They have always lasted me 5-6 years. 

Again, I suggest a side post battery, you will probably have to change your cables, but it's "safer", and the cables are easier to un-bolt.  I will swap my 510 over when my Optima battery dies.  Buy one with the ground post on the fender side, and the positive post on the engine side, both posts should be facing towards the rear of the car. 

If your engine is stock, then you don't need a lot of cranking amps.  Other than that, and your post location, there isn't much to buying a battery.

The Superstart AGM (absorbed glass mat) is arguably better, and cheaper, than an Optima.  I'm a convert in that I believe Optima used to be good, but went to crap about 10 years ago (I have one still running strong since about 2002, and have had others since that crapped out for no reason).  I have one of the Superstart AGM batteries in my 521 and it has worked very well, including sitting for weeks at a time and other weeks only for starting and moving the truck down the block.  Plus, they're made in the USA.  I know you can get them from Oreilly's, and probably other local parts stores.

34pltfront_oss.jpg

• Like 1