Datsun 510 Ignition switch broken looking for a fix or replacement

1971 datsun 510 4 door

So last night my Datsun was broken into and the ignition switch was broken looks like they shoved a screwdriver in it and tried to turn it lucky i have several kill switches unless u get all of them there's no way it's going anywhere happy it wasn't stolen but now I can't find a replacement. and none of my local store sells them and can't find one online...

Does anyone know anywhere I can find one or if they don't exist anymore what can I do to fix it? Thanks for the help

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It might help if you specified just which vehicle it is that you want a replacement ignition switch for!

Have you tried your local Nissan dealer? You will probably wind up with an ignition key and a separate trunk / door key, which might turn out to be a blessing in your neighborhood.

You should also put it in the title so not every Datsun owner with a switch has to open it to find out... " shit, it's for a truck".

I've seen a post that said... STUCK!!! WTF does that mean? Open only to find it's a problem wiring a oil pressure sender on a 720. Fuck me why not just say so? Save all non 720 owners who don't know or care, the bother of opening it. End rant.

• Like 1

I picked one up off Ebay for my 72 not too long ago.  Worked great...

is the replacement just another 510 ignition?

the majority of them can be turned on with a screw driver which scares me.

I'd want a safe ignition.

Probably any ignition will turn on with a screwdriver if you try hard enough. Most honest people it doesn't cross their mind how easy it is. If the ignition is out and the switch just swinging, then a thief might start thinking how easy it might be.... but if all together and looking good, not so much.

No car is safe from a determined thief. The easiest thing is a kill switch. Better is a kill switch and an alarm. Some king of deterrent like a club (ugly as fuck and a lot of bother but a good visual)

If in a bad neighborhood reach under the steering column and pull the ignition plug loose. Park your 'good' car behind your Datsun. Park under a streetlight.

This has never happened in my neighborhood I've lived here for 10 years and no one has ever fucked with any of my cars I've even left my garage door open when on vacation and nothing has ever been stolen ... I'm thinking it might of been Someone that owns a Datsun and followed me home to see where I park cuz nothing was stolen not even the radio or my sun glasses or my book bag filled with ridiculously expensive books they wanted to strip and use them on their own car