l20b swap

IneedHelp

I want to swap l20b plus 5 spd tranny from a 1978 510 hatchback to my 80 510 goon.

All I need to know is that everything will line up

Im not familiar with the tranny at all,im wondering if it's the same length???

I've heard rumor that the oil pan and pick up will hit the crossmember

Can I use the one from my z20s?

ANY Insight would be awesome! :thumbup: 

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to swap l20b plus 5 spd tranny from a 1978 510 hatchback to my 80 510 goon.

All I need to know is that everything will line up

Im not familiar with the tranny at all,im wondering if it's the same length???

I've heard rumor that the oil pan and pick up will hit the crossmember

Can I use the one from my z20s?

ANY Insight would be awesome! :thumbup: 

Same length compared to what? An auto? 4 speed?

Should bolt right up. If you've got access to the car you're pulling it from, then you've got all you need. Like Bonvo said, same chassis.

The 5 speed (you don't say but it should be a short 26" dogleg with reverse above first) will fit the '80 car. I find that the '80 and on have a totally different driveshaft than the earlier years. The trans spline and the companion flange on the diff are unchanged so something is different. It may be larger diameter tube for the Z20 motor? I expect it to work but be ready.

As for the motor you will need the L20B motor brackets that connect the block to the rubber mounts.

The '80 rad could be used, but the upper hose is on the far right unlike the '78 n the left. The lower L20B hose should fit the lower rad ok.

The cross members are the same so the oil pan should be fine.

The 2 into 1 exhaust down pipe won't be exactly a match to the L20B's single large manifold outlet.

The '80 throttle cable is a foot and a half too long. Not saying it won't fit, just long.

The '80 fuel line can be extended to reach the L 20B pump.

The brake booster pipe will be different length.