Sourcing the SR20

Wesglock

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is everyone going crazy for swaps? Is a l20 not enough power? The car weight less than 2000 pounds.

A stock L20B is fine (which is what I have), but I prefer 100-150 hp per 1000 lbs... (I people say the 510 weighs less than 2000lbs, but every person I've talked to, that has weighed a fully equiped street car, says it comes in at 2200-2400lbs.. Even my buddy with a stripped down race car, says his is around 2000lbs).

With an SR20DET swap, its right at the point were the extra weight is over come by the amount of power you get.  As for cost.... Say you buy the engine between $3K and 4K, but then there are a lot of little things that ad up quickly.... not in my budget right now....

A lot of people just want more power....

Or, there is the point that most of they guys with the SR20DET swap, say they wouldn't go back.... That says something.

Same thing with the last Mini I had...  The 1275cc was fine (well, for British), but once you drive a V-Tec Mini, They're so smooth and lots of power...  I had to sell the Mini because I couldn't justify spending the money on the V-Tec conversion. 

Just my two cents.  There are plenty out there that love the L series... To each their own.

Physical location aside, where is the best place to source a SR20? 

Any place out there known for consistently providing well maintained engines? 

Is it truly a crap shoot?

Hopefully someone that has bought from one of the major suppliers will respond with good recommendations.  I've shopped around, mostly between the eBay sellers.  I can say that there were some sellers that made me feel confident in their product, and others that I wouldn't consider.  Also look at the warranty they give.  Most say about 90 days.  So what ever you decide, make sure the car is ready, all esentials on hand to drop it in and test it.  Some of the sellers gave a video of them testing the compression... That's about the best assurance you're going to get.

You can't swap one in 90 days.

You'd have to plan ahead.  Already buy the crossmember, or cut it yourself, already have the trans mount, already cut a hole in the trans tunnel, already buy the turbo mount and make necessary mods ahead of time... etc.... not easy, but it could be done.

I bought my old sr from jdmhookup in st.loius great engine the only problem i had was the turbo was seized wich isnt under warranty but dewey at jdmhookup went ahead and sent me a new t25 anyways

That says something about their customer service!

So did you like the SR?  Would you go back to L series?

That says something about their customer service!

So did you like the SR?  Would you go back to L series?

My sr was never in a 510 it was in one of my previous 240sx's and in a 240 i loved it im still tossing up the idea of putting one in the dotty or to just stick with the L

You'd have to plan ahead.  Already buy the crossmember, or cut it yourself, already have the trans mount, already cut a hole in the trans tunnel, already buy the turbo mount and make necessary mods ahead of time... etc.... not easy, but it could be done.

Get and mount a high pressure fuel pump inline or in tank plus the wiring and plumbing for it

Driveshaft shortened and balanced.

EFI wiring installed and grafted into the car's electrical system.

Exhaust grafted on or custom made.

Probably a custom sway bar.

Larger rad.

Custom motor mounts.

This presums that the car already has zx struts and brake up grades or the equivelent so you can stop this thing. Also suspension mods and tires to steer and handle this amount of power. 45 year old brakes and suspension just ain't going to cut it today.

Get and mount a high pressure fuel pump inline or in tank plus the wiring and plumbing for it

Driveshaft shortened and balanced.

EFI wiring installed and grafted into the car's electrical system.

Exhaust grafted on or custom made.

Probably a custom sway bar.

Larger rad.

Custom motor mounts.

This presums that the car already has zx struts and brake up grades or the equivelent so you can stop this thing. Also suspension mods and tires to steer and handle this amount of power. 45 year old brakes and suspension just ain't going to cut it today.

Yes you will need all that to get the car going, and that's a pretty good list to have around here,

But, for matters of warranty and peace of mind, you don't need everything we've been talking about just to get the engine in the car and start it up...

Man..... Don't waste your time with an SR. There are so many 240sx fanboys that want $3500 or so for a running SR, which is absurd. You can get a full swap for around $1,900 if you search around for an engine importer, but I highly do not recommend them. By buddy just bought an SR and HOLY SHIT. Talk about a sludge fest. Literally the most disgustingly sludged up engine I have EVER seen. Charged him $2,000 + shipping + price for harness and ecu. Didn't even come with an ignitor chip, which was anohter $80 locally. On top of all this you can't just go to Napa, or O'Reilly's and source replacement parts. You'd have to source them and see what part numbers cross reference. 

In my opinion go with a KA and then turbo it. More power, more support, and it's a North American motor so you can very easily source parts for it... Plus it's cheaper.