Coolant Leak Seeking Advice...

r@+5un620

Last night on the drive home from work i experienced a normal drive. Until i got home got out of the truck and there was smoke coming out of the hood that smelled like coolant on the drivers side. I cannot see in the dark like most of us so i got up this morning and was unable to locate the leak, only that it leaks onto the exhaust mani causing the smoke. I cannot work on my truck here at my apartments due to contract... am i safe to limp 8 miles to fix and what could it be? I have searched this the only things i found was something to do with the coolant running through the manifold??? :confused:  any assistance is greatly appreciated as this is my DD- Kyle 

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would add coolant to the radiator to bring it up to normal level. Then put the radiator cap on, but don't tighten it down. That way the system won't be pressurized. You should be good for an 8 mile run, although I don't know ir that is 8 miles of stop and go traffic. Keep one eye on the temp gauge and stop and let it cool down if it starts getting too hot. Take extra coolant in case you need to top it up on the way. Good luck!

Len

Take a close look at the small coolant pipe coming up out of the intake down directly in front of the carb, It will have a short length of hose and then is a metal pipe going down around the front of the motor to the rad return hose. This outlet is likely leaking at the hose.

Take water with you and as Len says keep the rad cap loose so pressure does not build.

Outlet in middle of picture near carb base... not where finger pointing.

620intake002Large.jpg

Replaced the hose which was a bitch with the carb on and now I am worried bc I cant tell if it has completely stopped leaking and now my temp reads way below the C line if you look at your gauges my line is on the C literally and my coolant is leveled off...

So was the hose the cause of the leak?

Did it used to read in the normal range and just now started reading low?

If it runs very low on the gauge the thermostat is likely stuck open. If you had a coolant leak you probably over heater it. Some thermostats are designed to fail and stay open.

So was the hose the cause of the leak?

Did it used to read in the normal range and just now started reading low?

If it runs very low on the gauge the thermostat is likely stuck open. If you had a coolant leak you probably over heater it. Some thermostats are designed to fail and stay open.

This is correct. Try replacing the thermostat and go from there.

the hose was the cause of the leak it used to read normal unless i was on a long drive transitioning to stop and go traffic in Joplin then it would go up to 3/4 in normal op then back down once i drove again. now i start it up and it goes backwards i will try replacing it this weekend