280z 2+2 vs 240z

NewKid559

I currently have a pretty clean 76 2+2 280z. It just got the top end rebuilt and runs good. Being that I'm 16 I want to go fast and since I dont make much money I thought I'd start attacking weight before I go for more power. I've been thinking lately and Im thinking about getting a 240z shell and dropping the L28 in it. I know the 240z's are a lot lighter so would that make them handle better?

Is this reasonable? Are most parts compatible from the 280 to the 240? Thanks 

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 and you want to go faster in a car that has no ABS, no airbags, no traction control, and 40 year old components.....yah.....great recipe for disaster there.

240z's also have less structural reinforcement which is why they are lighter.  As for handling they all handle generally the same, its more about the driver than the car.

Don't be an asshat and rip your interior out in the name of weight savings.  All it will do is make the car look like shit and be uncomfortable.

• Like 1

^this

Personally I prefer the 2+2s, I've heard there more aerodynamic then the coupes. If you want the car to handle better upgrade suspension components, same goes for the motor and everything else. On top of all that you find a hell of a lot less 2+2s, even less in running condition, so when it comes to rarity there on par if not more rare then a 240z.

You can't go fast all the time but you can drive all the time. Handling is the best fun you can have and in some cases you can out drive a faster car.

Brake upgrade: http://drivendaily.org/s30-toyota-brake-upgrades/ This will likely increase the need for better tires to grip the road.

Lower the car. Remove and cut coil springs. This has the benefit of increasing the spring rate as well OR replace with coil overs. Don't do this blindly, research. Lower car handles better in corners but has less ground clearance. Find out what bump steer is and how to correct on a lowered car.

Go through the steering and suspension ball joints and bushings. Replace worn parts and know the disadvantages of polly bushings.