Chevy S10 differential in 1970 Datsun 510 GOON; Anyone with experience with it?

Like the title says, has anyone on here ever use an S10 diff in a 510? From my research, I know that member spitznoz had one in his goon, but he sold that car a while ago. And I know that it is the favorite rear of everyone in PR for their drag cars so i know that they can hold the power. I'm only asking because I would go with a 720 rear, but don't want to get stuck paying for one, then paying for shipping, and then not knowing what I'm getting. 720's don't exist in the Northeast, neither do old Subaru's. The S10 is widely available in any Northeast junkyard and they come with the gear ratios that I am looking for.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

my old wagon had a 1986 s10 with the 26 spline axles(i think it was the most common one nothing special) it took the sr20det like a champ,  i only stuck with it because it was strong(10lb boost guestimated 240hp) and it came with the car. had to get the axles redrilled/balanced/straightened to get it back to jdm 4x114.3 lug pattern(jdm wheels phase). it cost me money getting work done on the axles so it leaves a bad taste in my mouth lol. but if your gonna rock 6 lugs it should be good. it wasnt shortened ive dis assembled a bunch in the junkyard so i know. the car originally had xxr 002 15x8 0 offset and it almost went all in the rear fenders i cant remember if the tires had rubs on them, i think it did a bit i am heavy and i got heavy friends back then =)

7cd0a7a6-f6b3-4580-897a-a8f04b17a0fa_zps

GM went the "international car" track a long time ago.  The Chevy LUV and Mazda B2000 are examples.  Major subassemblies could interchange between national versions of similar vehicles.  That doesn't mean that component parts were interchangeable, but a "family" vehicle rear axel assembly for a Japanese assembled, Mexico assembled or South African assembled "family" vehicle would bolt in place of any of the "family".  Lord knows what the gear ratios were!  Nissan was not "family", but their trucks had to meet the same vehicle width restrictions as Mazdas so you may have a sporting chance.  PLEASE, someone with at least a tape measure or even better real life experience at this swap join in!  If this works we may have more Datsuns to honk at on the road.

my old wagon had a 1986 s10 with the 26 spline axles(i think it was the most common one nothing special) it took the sr20det like a champ,  i only stuck with it because it was strong(10lb boost guestimated 240hp) and it came with the car. had to get the axles redrilled/balanced/straightened to get it back to jdm 4x114.3 lug pattern(jdm wheels phase). it cost me money getting work done on the axles so it leaves a bad taste in my mouth lol. but if your gonna rock 6 lugs it should be good. it wasnt shortened ive dis assembled a bunch in the junkyard so i know. the car originally had xxr 002 15x8 0 offset and it almost went all in the rear fenders i cant remember if the tires had rubs on them, i think it did a bit i am heavy and i got heavy friends back then =)

7cd0a7a6-f6b3-4580-897a-a8f04b17a0fa_zps

Hey I recognize that air freshener!  Anything I could add to this thread was just said more expertly.