Differences in Dashes

Hey!

I'm restoring a 1968 Datsun 510.  I have the original dash, but it's fairly beat up.  My question is, was the 68 dash only offered in 68? I know it eventually changed, but I wasn't sure if the 69 dash was the same.

If anyone knows I'd appreciate it.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The '68 dash is unique to the '68. (the Canadian one is slightly different to the US dash) The '68 has a 6" wide dip in the middle that is missing on the '69. Both '68 and '69 have a horizontal sweep speedometer but the are slightly different. The heater controls on the '68 are vertical horizontal while the '69 are vertical. Ignition switch is mounted on the dash to the left of the steering wheel on the '68 and is on the steering column on the '69. '70 and on had a totally different redesigned dash.

To answer the question you could certainly swap the dash complete. Not sure if you can get away with just swapping the foam dash pad.

The '68 dash is unique to the '68. (the Canadian one is slightly different to the US dash) The '68 has a 6" wide dip in the middle that is missing on the '69. Both '68 and '69 have a horizontal sweep speedometer but the are slightly different. The heater controls on the '68 are vertical while the '69 are horizontal. Ignition switch is mounted on the dash to the left of the steering wheel on the '68 and is on the steering column on the '69. '70 and on had a totally different redesigned dash.

To answer the question you could certainly swap the dash complete. Not sure if you can get away with just swapping the foam dash pad.

You have the controls opposite. 68 is horizontal and 69 are vertical.