New (to me) 76 King Cab

muller27x

I just scored an awesome deal on this running 76 KC. It has a few issues, but it shouldn't be too bad to sort out. The seller and I both believe it has 57,000 original miles based on the overall condition of the truck, especially the rubber pedal covers that show nearly no sign of wear. I'm not sure of the final intentions for it yet, but most likely (based on my history with vehicles) it will end up bagged and probably stock floor body dropped. For the mean time I will be happy with a nice static.

EF272BC5_zps54c2a2f7.jpg

My Pathfinder bringing her home

17B16683_zps6c7deb49.jpg

A77E3CA9_zpsd1d712f5.jpg

6095F78A_zps26ec3208.jpg

needs a little rust cleanup

A4014415_zps2b6ef011.jpg

94261F0E_zps2c989d2a.jpg

81459E39_zps10e99193.jpg

A59C54F3_zpsc1b7b1f5.jpg

2F5E4275_zps4a6e8d1f.jpg

84BFD3A0_zps1fd91f41.jpg

A few outward dings that a hammer and dolly should be able to handle

EAECE153_zpse4f0d2cf.jpg

B1B2F34D_zpsdf82fe7c.jpg

C5A4D03B_zps919fa13f.jpg

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The alternator checked out ok at the parts store and it has a brand new regulator. When I put the meter on it today, it held steady at 12.0 volts for 30 minutes at idle. When I turn on the head lights it drops to 11.8 but goes right back to 12.0 when I turn them off. So I'm not sure if the regulator isn't allowing enough voltage through or the alternator isn't putting out quite enough

6095F78A_zps26ec3208.jpg

Hmmm I think this is a later motor or a later head. Look to the rear of the fuel pump where the head meets the block between #1 and #2 spark plugs. There is a casting number on the head like this...

N-58001.jpg What does yours say?

Hmmm I think this is a later motor or a later head. Look to the rear of the fuel pump where the head meets the block between #1 and #2 spark plugs. There is a casting number on the head like this...

N-58001.jpg What does yours say?

Yup that a '78-'80 head on there. Probably a '79 as that was the year they changed to the three bolt thermostat housing you have. Good chance the motor was swapped. An odd thing for a truck with 57K on it. Also all the original hoses and hose clamps. Possible.

Take the steering wheel cover off and look at the wear on the plastic. Wear on the shft knob, arm rests, driver's door hinges worn out. At 57K the tires might be all original? and the muffler should be in Georgia. It sure is in good shape and was looked after.

the shift knob seems to be in good shape as well. There are a few scratches on the glossy shift pattern. Arm rests are in great shape, the hinges are a little stiff, but it has been sitting for a while. Definitely going to remove that steering cover, its quite sticky. 3 of the tires match, but are fairly dry rotted on the sidewalls. The one oddball tire is fairly old, too. Is there any way to date the tires?

I was having a look around under the dash. This poor thing is a wiring nightmare. But while poking around under there I sorted out the charging issue. I work with the guy who sold it to me. He needs to be fired, he is a maintenance electrician and the issue was as simple as a fuse. 

BD53A685_zpsf0ca6917.jpg

the shift knob seems to be in good shape as well. There are a few scratches on the glossy shift pattern. Arm rests are in great shape, the hinges are a little stiff, but it has been sitting for a while. Definitely going to remove that steering cover, its quite sticky. 3 of the tires match, but are fairly dry rotted on the sidewalls. The one oddball tire is fairly old, too. Is there any way to date the tires?

The original '73 620 came with 6.00 X 14" tires... yes they used a different system than they do today. Not sure when that changed in the 70s? That would be a 175/70R14 today.

Yes but pre 2000 code is only good for the previous 10 years. The decade is not marked so they could be 78, 88 or 98 ... you way to know for sure.

ah ok. all 4 use the current size coding, 195/70/r14

I looked up how to determine the mfg date code, but these dont seem to match either the current or previous standard. I figure they are fairly old, but not quite original.