recently got a Datsun 1200

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In August 1961 the new 320 series was released. It was produced until 1965 in three series (320-322). The 320 series was largely inherited from the earlier 120/220, although with clear improvements to body and frame. It used the Nissan E-1 engine. This engine produced 60 PS.

All Datsun trucks kept the A-arm torsion bar front suspension with leaf-sprung rear ends and had a 1/2 ton load capacity. Rear end gearing was a low 4.875:1 along with a four-speed transmission; as a result, the 320 was not freeway friendly above 60 mph. Fender emblems showed "Datsun 1200" and "60 HP" ("55ps" for models sold in Japan) with a "Datsun" emblem on the front nose of the hood.

Available bodystyles include a single cab "truck" (320), a longer wheelbase single cab truck (G320), a double cab "pickup" with flush sides (U320), and a three-door "light-van" (V320). Though described (and taxed) as a van in the Japanese market, the V320 is essentially a two-door station wagon. The 320 came in two cab and bed versions: Regular, and as the NL320 "Sports Pick-Up" (1963–65) variation which is a rarer (around 1,000 produced) version with the cab and bed of a one-piece design. Its back half is greatly different than that of the standard, separate bed 320 pick-up.

220px-Datsun_1200_Light_Van_001.JPG
magnify-clip.png
Datsun V320 Van

Bed and luggage space were in addition to the expansion, with the support of the market characteristics and the robust chassis engine was easy to handle, it was a best seller in the truck market segment.

The chassis was also a sales hit 310 in the reinforcement of the type Datsun Bluebird 310, a variation of the same series, in which the X-members plus a reinforcement of the Fairlady roadster of the S310-type CSP311. It was also used for the new Silvia coupé.

In 1964 the 320 underwent minor changes. After having adding the failed Light Stout, Toyota took over Hino's Briska and then continued with the Hilux. Mazda also competed in this segment, with the Mazda B-Series. In 1960, Nissan assumed operations of the Minsei Diesel Industries, Ltd., renaming the company as Nissan Diesel Motor Co., Ltd.

ok, thanks guys. I got it for free so i think i scored big time! I am planning a restore/rat rod with a 4bt cummins motor. here is a quick drawing i just did (just an idea).

http://s1315.photobucket.com/user/Datsun801/media/photo20_zps5970583f.jpg.html?state=replace

The 4BT is a huge motor. The bay in a 320 will barely fit a VG30E Nissan 300ZX V6.

If you're set on the Cummins, do. But finish it.

It's not like you're ruining a car to install it.

You're essentially saving it.

im not dead set on the cummins but if i pull it off it will be one sweet ride. the lenght and the width will fit it just about 6" taller than the hood. i Have a ford 9" for the rear, now im just trying to figure out what tranny. turbo 400, nv4500 maybe.

im not dead set on the cummins but if i pull it off it will be one sweet ride. the lenght and the width will fit it just about 6" taller than the hood. i Have a ford 9" for the rear, now im just trying to figure out what tranny. turbo 400, nv4500 maybe.

And after all that you will still call it a Datsun?

im sure i will need it, thank you

At just under 800 pounds dressed out for the engine alone,, and whats a turbo 400 weigh another 200 just the engine and tranny will double the weight of truck. Are you gonna make a new frame?