Batery relocated & upgraded alt. - now to wire

I moved the battery to the trunk and swapping in an alternator from a KA pu. I have studied the wiring diaghrams from the 510 archives and in an effort to clean up the old wires to make it better/safer.... this is what i came up with

BAT-ALTWIRE.jpeg

Does this look correct? I interpided and combined two of the diagrams. I drew it up on Autocad, so if you see need for revision let me know. I can then repost.

Scott

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you not run the starter solenoid off the relay you have labeled "Starter Solenoid" and further reduce the wire length/voltage drop to the starter solenoid?  I don't see any reason to run the starter solenoid off the ignition switch.  Also, not clear in your diagram is where the 70A CB is.  If it's near the alt, then your 8ga is unprotected from the trunk to the firewall at all times as well.

" I don't see any reason to run the starter solenoid off the ignition switch."

No comment required. 

Mike, is English your first language?  Just wondering.  I'm talking about the real starter solenoid, not the extra "Starter solenoid" he has drawn (which is a relay, not a starter solenoid in the typical sense). 

Can you not run the starter solenoid off the relay you have labeled "Starter Solenoid" and further reduce the wire length/voltage drop to the starter solenoid?  I don't see any reason to run the starter solenoid off the ignition switch. 

Matt, I was taking direction from https://docs.google.com/folder/ on the ignition wiring, but i think i now understand the smaller drawing about the solenoid.

Also, not clear in your diagram is where the 70A CB is.  If it's near the alt, then your 8ga is unprotected from the trunk to the firewall at all times as well.

I wasn't sure where to place the CB. I was going mount it on the front inner fender where the voltage regulator was. Wouldn't this need to be live to power the car when it isn't running.

Yeah, it needs to be live at all times, but it might be wise to put a fuse/cb/fusible link at both ends.  I think most people will say this is excessive, but I'd rather not see my car go up in flames in a minor accident.  On that diagram there is a note about removing the BY wire at the starter solenoid and jumping the tab to the battery side of the solenoid so that the ignition start position only triggers the ford relay.  That's what I was suggesting in my first post but perhaps it wasn't clear based on your wording and mine.

Thats what i like about the forum, Having an idea that seems a little fuzzy, getting to talk about it before trying it and burning/blowing up something.

"I see" about CB's at both ends.

The ign trigger is making more sense. I will also need to tie this in with my electric fuel pump safety switch some how.

Mike, is English your first language?  Just wondering.  I'm talking about the real starter solenoid, not the extra "Starter solenoid" he has drawn (which is a relay, not a starter solenoid in the typical sense). 

Replying to the question asked and the diagram provided.  I am not a mind reader and I suggest you are not either!!!!

• 2 weeks later...