Nub electrician. No spark..

zoobyzx

Long story short, the 280zx doesn't start anymore. I know the coil has 12v when the key is ON cuz I tested that, but there is nothing at the plugs. I also know the distributor cap receives the power because I tested that too. That's about the extent of my understanding of these cars. On the way from the dizzy to the plugs I'm missing something.

Anyone? Thanks in advance.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

distributor cap getting voltage, does not always mean all is well.  Your coil may be the issue yet.  Though it is no more likely than the dizzy.  How are you checking for spark?  post a picture of the inside of the dizzy cap, and the brass contact on the rotor.  If you lick the coil does it kill you?  

Buy a new coil, and cap if you are lazy and want a possible easy fix.  None of this is that expensive, and a new dizzy cap is a good thing to have.  If that doesn't work, replace the lead from the coil to the dizzy (less likely).  if you still get no spark at the spark plugs. (test by pulling a plug, and holding it real close to some grounded piece of car (valve cover is common, but potentially dangerous). You will not see a spark without grounding the plug body, or sparking to ground.  if you are holding the plug in the air looking for spark, you will be disappointed.  

You may know all of this, and please don't be offended that I am advising as if you are a beginner.

P.S.  if you licked the coil and died, I really do feel bad about that.  

No spark on any of the plugs? If you have power at the output of the dizzy, then the only parts left are plugs and wires.

Nope. Rechecked this morning and nothing.

Is the rotor in place?

Sure is. I'll post a picture of it too.

distributor cap getting voltage, does not always mean all is well.  Your coil may be the issue yet.  Though it is no more likely than the dizzy.  How are you checking for spark?  post a picture of the inside of the dizzy cap, and the brass contact on the rotor.  If you lick the coil does it kill you?  

Buy a new coil, and cap if you are lazy and want a possible easy fix.  None of this is that expensive, and a new dizzy cap is a good thing to have.  If that doesn't work, replace the lead from the coil to the dizzy (less likely).  if you still get no spark at the spark plugs. (test by pulling a plug, and holding it real close to some grounded piece of car (valve cover is common, but potentially dangerous). You will not see a spark without grounding the plug body, or sparking to ground.  if you are holding the plug in the air looking for spark, you will be disappointed.  

You may know all of this, and please don't be offended that I am advising as if you are a beginner.

P.S.  if you licked the coil and died, I really do feel bad about that.  

I'm checking for spark with a multimeter and putting a screwdriver in the plugs close to the suspension tower bolts, as you described. I think I'll just go out today and buy a new coil and cap. I just bought a new rotor a few days ago so I figure that it can't go bad that fast. 

I am not offended at all. You took time out of your day to try and help someone and for that I'm grateful. Also, being a noob I don't mind being advised.

I almost got my brother to lick the coil  :rofl: ...then I didn't wanna kill him so I told him to stop.

Pull the center wire off the cap (the coil wire) put a plug in the end and lay on a grounded surface and crank. Is there spark???????

Yes there is....... Then likely the coil and every thing up to it is good.

No there isn't..... Then the coil or something else leading up to it is bad.

Still no spark at the plugs.

Then it can only be the rotor connection to the center wire from the coil or

The rotor, or

The cap, or

The wires.

Electricity ALWAYS looks for the shortest path to ground. If not going to the plugs then it found an easier path you haven't found yet.

Set to TDC on #1 and see if the rotor is pointing to the #1 plug wire..

In the primary circuit I would say no. A 'short' to ground is almost always a big draw of power and a fuse will blow or wires get hot. Often the term 'short' is used where there is actually an 'open' in the circuit and power cannot flow.

Because the secondary voltage is so high it can jump small gaps in the insulation or follow a carbon track. It can even leak through oily deposits and carbon on the plug.

Before throwing parts at this find out why you don't have spark. It could be as simple as a loose wire. Dizzy badly grounded.

Mike, not a challenge but for clarity's sake.  Voltage jumping to ground would indicate a ground fault or "short circuit".  This would happen if the path to ground was less resistant than the gap in the plug.  So... if I am understanding correctly, if the circuit to ground is not "closed", meaning solid connection at system voltage (12-15VDC), there is not a short.  And if the connection is made only at higher voltages, that would be an "open" circuit.  I think I understood your original contention correctly, but semantics are in the way.  Whatever you want to call it, if high voltage from the coil is measurable at the dizzy, it is most likely going somewhere.  Please update when you find it.  Very clean distributor cap by the way.  Looks nothing like mine ( fireworks accident).