Fuel Filler

My fuel filler is on it's way out.  I've read about the 240sx and 280zx conversion.

I think I remember reading that some one was making new steel or aluminum Fillers, but I can't find the write up anywhere.

Any Suggestions?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There`s this one for the budget minded,, i will probably use this method when we get our 2door going.. starts in page 15 if link don`t send you there.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/40947-project-5teeezyback-from-canby/page-15

There was also a guy that made a whole stainless tube with just a short rubber tube hooking it to gas tank,, but i'm not sure if he decided to make them for others or not..I believe that`s the one you seek...

There was also a guy that made a whole stainless tube with just a short rubber tube hooking it to gas tank,, but i'm not sure if he decided to make them for others or not..I believe that`s the one you seek...

Yeah, that sounds like the one I remember seeing.

There`s this one for the budget minded,, i will probably use this method when we get our 2door going.. starts in page 15 if link don`t send you there.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/40947-project-5teeezyback-from-canby/page-15

That's worth considering.  I think I can improve upon that design, plus it gave me some other ideas as well.

I don't quite understand why he removed the evap canister... But oh well.

I don't quite understand why he removed the evap canister... But oh well.

Because I was looking for a quick fix cause I could drive it anymore without:

1. Keeping only 2 gallons in my tank......and even then....if I turned too hard...it stank.

2. Holding my breath for 5-6 minutes after making a left turn

3. Huffing gas till I pass out....

Yes.....this design can be done much better and would include the canister.......although.....it's ugly and right up front.

.............and it's on "The List". B)  

Because I was looking for a quick fix cause I could drive it anymore without:

1. Keeping only 2 gallons in my tank......and even then....if I turned too hard...it stank.

2. Holding my breath for 5-6 minutes after making a left turn

3. Huffing gas till I pass out....

Yes.....this design can be done much better and would include the canister.......although.....it's ugly and right up front.

.............and it's on "The List". B)  

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound demeaning.

I understand you were in a hurry to get it done, that part is cool.  Now that it's working you can go back and perfect it if you want.

I just didn't under stand why you thought it was necessary to remove the evap can.  I can't see how that factors into swapping the filler tube.

Not offended at all....

The canister is meant to hold fumes that are later sucked up by the intake when you're driving.....

it's not hooked to my intake so I felt no need for it.........

.........and I don't like clutter.

• 1 month later...

I just bought a '73 620.  I was looking at the fuel filler.... I have no idea as to whether or not it will work, but assuming some modifications... who knows?  But anyways, the nice thing is, it's sold new on eBay.  When I replace my current filler neck this winter, I will give this a look and report back, unless someone else already knows.

T2eC16NygE9s7HHrCRBRj3wOHHQg60_12.jpg

I like what I see so far.  I can't wait for your build thread.

How about that vent tube being on the side though....  I guess it really doesn't matter.  Could you put the vent on the back side so you wouldn't have to see it?

The rods for the trunk get in the way I think......

Like what he said.....I like what I see...

I like what I see so far.  I can't wait for your build thread.

How about that vent tube being on the side though....  I guess it really doesn't matter.  Could you put the vent on the back side so you wouldn't have to see it?

I agree, I wanted the vent tube on the other side as well. but this was best solution I've found so far, that doesn't require any welding. In order for the unleaded flap inside to work correctly, it ends up on that side. Again. this is still in mockup, so it still might change.

The rods for the trunk get in the way I think......

Like what he said.....I like what I see...

So far the rods just barely clear without hitting, lol.

The Dime Quarterly did an article on a fuel filler update using a filler neck from a 240SX.

Here is a link. The article is on Page 8

https://docs.google.com/folderview?id=0ByCvxnHNk90SYzc4N2E1MWEtMzg0MC00YTE4LTkxZGQtM2RjODA5ODA1YjU1

Yep, the 240sx one is cool as well, I was just looking to do one that didn't require any welding, for those who don't have access. Also 240s are very rare around here in the wrecking yards.

I'm a fabricator by trade, so I can make anything I need from scratch, but some people aren't that lucky. I thought it would be a fun challenge, to come up with a solution with common basic tools. (Datsun style, lol)

• Like 1

You know, If you took that fuel filler neck that you have there, because it looks like it fits pretty well, and cut it, and welded on another section of pipe about 90 degrees, you would just about have the factory shape, and you could in theory, use the stock metal tube with two short rubber sections to join everything together.

If you don't mind me asking, what filler neck are you using?

You know, If you took that fuel filler neck that you have there, because it looks like it fits pretty well, and cut it, and welded on another section of pipe about 90 degrees, you would just about have the factory shape, and you could in theory, use the stock metal tube with two short rubber sections to join everything together.

If you don't mind me asking, what filler neck are you using?

The whole point in this particular set up, is to make it so anyone without a welder can do this mod with basic tools.

After I thoroughly test it, I'll do a "How-to" on it and give out all the details. I don't want to give out any real info yet, because things might change along the way if need be.

Ok so I like this and would love to know how you are building the filler neck.

I'll give out all the info once it's ready and tested.

• 1 month later...