Yellow SR510

Not often I see someone do something that makes me say "dang, that's cool"........but your brake/clutch line thing is nice.

Thanks Yellowdatsun, I am really happy with how they turned out.

Collision and Customs, the primer we used was good but the top coat reacted to it. Since no one we knew had used that brand of top coat before and it was not what was recommended to us by a friend who does body work, I chose the cheaper route and paid for it in the end. I had to redo the entire thing back to bare metal, many many many hours wasted plus had to buy the other more expensive top coat.

Lesson learned 

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Those lines are are F'n artwork man. I wish I'd taken more time on mine now, cuz that's tidy Bro.

Thanks paradime, it seems like everything we do on the car takes so much time, and I know it's taking more time than usual because Andrew and I are both perfectionists. For example, The brake line from the pro portioning valve in the cab to the driver wheel well was done but I did not like how it looked and it had some kinks in it so I ended up making a new one.

• 2 weeks later...

Ya paradime, Andrew (ATP) is the one that has designed the custom short throw shifter for the sr20s you might have seen around here on ratsun. He is a friend of mine and my car has been at his shop since I got it and he has done some amazing work on it. This build wouldn't be where it is without him!

Thanks mrbigtanker, it's coming along very nicely and is so close to being drive able!

• Like 1

I like 510s too 15om, but Damn! Thats so cool that Andrew's sharing the build process on your own car. That's really going to be a great education on what you have there. Too many guys just fork over the money and have no idea. Props to Andrew, not many builders are that open and easy going. Troy Ermish has done some work on my car, and I hung out in his shop as much as I could, just soaking it up in a corner. Although Troy tolerated this, I wouldn't say he was totally comfortable with it. His shop has cars being prepped for racing alongside street mod stuff, so there was a lot going on. I saw some REALLY sick cars while I was there though. 

All the best,

Ron M.

• 2 weeks later...

Brakes are bled and all working! Went to bleed the clutch and found that I need a new clutch master cylinder. Bummer, but at least its not that expensive to fix. Also realized that I think I have an upgraded brake master cylinder, 15/16?

Ya, I found that out. Nice surprise! I'm getting really excited now, my datsun is looking more and more like a car. Wheels are on, suspension adjusted, brakes and clutch are working, rear turn signals are in and my passenger seat and belts are installed. The fuel rail is plumbed and working and today I attached the waste gate, turbo and downpipe so we can start figuring out how to attach the waste gate pipe to the exhaust downpipe because right now it's just dumping straight out.

Things left to do:

Electrical

Fab and mount inter cooler, piping and radiator

Exhaust

Fab dash

Run battery to trunk

And a bunch of little things I'm sure

It all adds up but those are the major ones I can think of right now

Hose adapter installed through firewall for heater hoses

IMG_0608_zpse22d438d.jpg

Adjusted the camber back so the tires don't hit the fender now, but its close!

IMG_0604_zpsfd9e538d.jpg

Wastegate and downpipes

IMG_0606_zps645e7459.jpg

Andrew will be connecting the wastegate down pipes and exhaust down pipe together. Originally I thought he would be welding the 2 together but he figured that wouldn't work well because of the heat and warping so he ordered a flex pipe to replace the wastegate down pipe with.

He was also making headway on fabbing the intercooler together since we cut off the existing plate and piping from it on the sides and now made aluminum templates to fit over it to put the inlet/outlet pipes where he wants them.

Here's a cool tip if you want to improve the efficiency of your intercooler and hide the shiny aluminum turbo advertisement. I used a product called TLTD thermal dispersant. it's improves heat transference by as much as 30% and it nocks down shine to a cool stealthy look.

Intercoolercoated.jpg

grill.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a vieo I thought you and Andrew might like.

I've been shaking down the tune on the Link G4 ECU in my SR Datusn 510. Just doing some data logging and playing with the mixture and timing. On Thursday I went on a flat out run on 880 West from Marina to Davis exit. Did a rearview video this time and as you can see I almost bought the farm getting off the freeway. Turns out there's been some work done on the Davis exit. It used to be a nice sweeping right, but now it's an abrupt hard right. Thank you Cal-trans.

Full sphincter clench for sure. To be honest, I was paying too much attention to the gauges, but I had no idea they'd turn the exit into a 20mph corner. I must have been doing 50 when I looked up. I grabbed all the breaks I had, slid it sideways, let off the breaks and my grip on the wheel when I came into the apex of the corner and BINGO, The car did everything it was supposed to. Thank you Datsun gods.
  • Like 1

To keep up on my car, I may have some major updates soon. I have not been out to the shop much recently since I started training for my new career and have to commute over an hour each way so I really don't know how close it is. But.. Andrew said he is hoping to have the car done by this Friday in time for the last event of Kool April Nights car show in redding Saturday!! So I might be one very happy guy come this weekend. I cant wait to finally drive this thing! Hopefully all goes well..

Stay tuned