Why so many ka24's?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Love my wing windows!!!

Well my truck is now 90% bare metal on the inside, head liner is gone as is all the trim, if it will help people understand the reasoning as to why im stripping it think along the lines of "mad max"

I like my truck minimal, functional and ready to go when i am. it will really make peoples hearts stop when i pull the entire wiring harness and throw it in the junk box lol.

This truck is part datsun part nissan and part neither at this point, its a nerdist 720.....or maybe the Monk Hardbody....hmmm

Also i just nabbed the 1986.5 midyear factory service manual for my truck (original book version for nissan dealerships) for $7. That will make things easier.

This is the last I'll say about this... I understand the sentiment over the carbs... I learned on them in auto mechanics back in high school from 79- 82, but to put it in context, somewhere there is someone still pining over the demise of the steam powered carriage.

As far as nice sounds... my stock KA has a long tube header dumping straight to a cheap cherry bomb like muffler on a short run of  2.5" pipe and my neighbor asked if  I had a V-8 in it, lol !

Sentiment or not, no way would I go back to carbs... I just don't have that kind of time.

This is the last I'll say about this... I understand the sentiment over the carbs... I learned on them in auto mechanics back in high school from 79- 82, but to put it in context, somewhere there is someone still pining over the demise of the steam powered carriage.

As far as nice sounds... my stock KA has a long tube header dumping straight to a cheap cherry bomb like muffler on a short run of  2.5" pipe and my neighbor asked if  I had a V-8 in it, lol !

Sentiment or not, no way would I go back to carbs... I just don't have that kind of time.

Would imagine the side drafts fitted to some L motors are a far cry from the Briggs and Stratton carbs you worked on in auto class....lol....(J/K)
Once they're jetted appropriately......no extra "time" is needed
Big difference between building your own L motor for HP/ understanding valve geometry etc...etc...compared to dropping in a generic stock F/I KA or whatever....
The sound is totally different...plus the L(Z)s look stock compared to the KA.
But...to each his own..... :)
Builds are somewhat relative to parts available....not many KAs here, just Z22s and Z24s.

Next up.....Bored LZ24/46SUs....give those 'KAs' a run for the money.....<....old school..... :D
  • Like 2

i dont get this time people talk about on these carbs, the longest it ever took me to make an adjustment (i rarely do, and to be honest i adjust it because i like to, not because it needs it, i just like to fiddle and fidget)

The longest it ever took was approx. 11 seconds, I stopped the truck on a county road, hopped out grabbed my flat head, opened the hood turned the screw a quarter turn it pepped up and i was on my way.

i dont get where this big time sink comes from, matter of fact my carb hasnt caused me much grief outside of the vacuum leak issue i had earlier when i made the mistake of using cork...which the gas promptly ate up... so i had no gasket at all, but it still ran.

anyways thats ALL i will say because thats 3 threads in a row where the efi hammer legion stormed in and made a holy war out of it and you know whats sad, ive been reading up on the KA and how to put my carb on it and im finding threads from 2005 with hammer legion guys coming in and saying "why do that"

Why do that? Why not?! its that mans truck if he wants to cover it in whipped cream and put a cherry on top he can, if he wants to put 450 trained himilayan mice in it for power, if he wants to make it run on cold fusion he can, its his truck, why not answer his question on how it can be done and leave him to it. If i cant put a carb on a truck that truck will end up in the junkyard because it isnt "my" truck. I have to be able to make a truck mine, this can mean different things for different people, for some people making something theirs can be as simple as one of those little pine tree air freshners on the mirror or a bumper sticker, for me i go much farther, i basically have went through and one by one taken something nissan put in and replaced it with my version, because its my truck, I enjoy doing this stuff to it.

Its like people thinks its dumb i trashed my interior out of the truck, I like my truck as bare metal, I even like all the holes in the structural supports, i can think of many uses for them.

I noticed i even have another spot for a interior light. Thats the beauty of it being my truck, ive seen people do things to datsuns on here i thought was a bad idea but i dont ask why, if i like it i compliment them if i dont, i just move on or offer help if possible. Telling me carbs are terrible isnt help, telling me how efi is great isnt much help, but telling me how to put that carb on my truck because obviously i have a vested interest in doing that is.

Its like i asked datzenmike how to put the z22 magnetic dist on my truck, what did he do? he told me exactly how to, even sent me what i needed to finish up, he didnt ask why, hes a shining example of ratsun, he provided help, he didnt have to, but he did. Thanks again mike, your the man.

In the end, after all my work, theres no guarantee some loser wont rear end my truck whilst on the phone and utterly devastate it. So why argue with me about carbs when tomorrow i might be sitting outside looking at a wreck of truck, something i had so much hard work and time in and now its gone. I guess i wouldnt have to worry about carbs sucking anymore then.

Anyways back to happier thoughts, I think i need to get under my truck eventually and insulate my exhaust pipes a bit better. oh and the word of the day is: Pineapples...

well, remember it is the internet the entire point is to tell other people your opinion.

personally I dont understand people going backwards in technology, and I find the reason to be generally because they are very ignorant about the technology they are avoiding. I have very little tollerance for ignorance, especially when it results in less performance.

If you asked me how to do something, I would still tell you how to do it, but I would also tell you the right way, which is not to do that.

the carb thing is overblown cause most people are not running triple webers or side drafts, which can be tuned pretty well and still not as well as EFI. their running toilet bowls, which are the bottom level of performance you can get for fuel delivery. and its also overblown because people install toilet bowls in 2013 while they are slowly dying.

I honestly think that if any of you carb guys ran a Kpro/proefi/haltech/ect system on a dyno for 2 hours you would never even look at a carb again. ya'll might even look back at the good ol days of carbs like I have and say "haha, good thing thats over"

well, remember it is the internet the entire point is to tell other people your opinion.

personally I dont understand people going backwards in technology, and I find the reason to be generally because they are very ignorant about the technology they are avoiding. I have very little tollerance for ignorance, especially when it results in less performance.

If you asked me how to do something, I would still tell you how to do it, but I would also tell you the right way, which is not to do that.

the carb thing is overblown cause most people are not running triple webers or side drafts, which can be tuned pretty well and still not as well as EFI. their running toilet bowls, which are the bottom level of performance you can get for fuel delivery. and its also overblown because people install toilet bowls in 2013 while they are slowly dying.

I honestly think that if any of you carb guys ran a Kpro/proefi/haltech/ect system on a dyno for 2 hours you would never even look at a carb again.

So now your saying someone that likes carbs must be ignorant, i refer you back to that post i made about zealots. Ive owned 7 cars with efi and only 2 with carb so somehow im ignorant, I love carbs, i dont care if its performance is terrible, i love it for its simplicity the fact that me a normal joe can take one apart and fix it without it becoming a friggin historic project and the parts are cheap.

Ive said all this so many times im blue in the face. Also the internet was made with the intentions of sharing information not opinions that just happen to be a side effect of humans using computers, the only problem is since they are behind a machine they force their opinions as opposed to sharing them and moving on.

Good day sir.

and i am sharing with you the opinion that you and joe blow could work on any EFI system, if you laid your ignorance on the subject to rest by reading about it, as I said you might just "fall in love with its simplicity" the same way you did with carbs. but not if you dont know anything about them.

and i am sharing with you the opinion that you and joe blow could work on any EFI system, if you laid your ignorance on the subject to rest by reading about it, as I said you might just "fall in love with its simplicity" the same way you did with carbs. but not if you dont know anything about them.

Im not ignorant about it, quit insulting people and making huge wild guesses of a persons knowledge, i already did every procedure in the book to repair my efi on my nissan and decided i did not like it. :crying: :yawn: :w00t:

Anyways im done discussing it.

edit: at the end of the day, you'll still love efi, ill still love carbs, Jesus saves and obama withdraws so who cares.

Would imagine the side drafts fitted to some L motors are a far cry from the Briggs and Stratton carbs you worked on in auto class....lol....(J/K)
Once they're jetted appropriately......no extra "time" is needed
Big difference between building your own L motor for HP/ understanding valve geometry etc...etc...compared to dropping in a generic stock F/I KA or whatever....
The sound is totally different...plus the L(Z)s look stock compared to the KA.
But...to each his own..... :)
Builds are somewhat relative to parts available....not many KAs here, just Z22s and Z24s.

Next up.....Bored LZ24/46SUs....give those 'KAs' a run for the money.....<....old school..... :D

Allllllrighty then... trolled me into another comment, so here you go my man  !  Briggs and Sratton?  Haha,  I was trained on Rochesters /Quadrajets, Carters, Holleys, etc, but yeah I worked on lawnmowers, go-karts, and mini-bikes too there bigshot  from the time I was 9 years old... despite the nostalgia,, carbs are just inefficient and time consuming.  and It's like arguing the values of swords vs. guns.  Despite all your triple folding and sharpening of finely smelted metal on flames produced from the ether of hallowed ground of your ancestors... someone with a gun will still simply shoot you in the ass !

Bottom line is anyone will a slightly modified KA24DE motor will tear a new A-hole in your overly labored and carbed L-motor unless you pumped thousands of dollars into it, and you will still be struggling at best.  You're right there with the Honda crowd if you stuck a fart can on it and think  it 'sounds' fast.

Speaking of carter, i need to order a carter pump tomorrow for my truck, i need to redo my fuel system eventually, my original setup is ummmm yeah.

Also i wont say i would never use a ka24e, but fully expect it to have an l-series dist on it, no computer and a 4 barrel carb. :)

GODDAMMIT STOP SAYING "THE HONDA CROWD" WE DONT ALL DRIVE PIECES OF SHIT WITH SHIT CAN EXHAUSTS ON THEM SOME OF US SPEND REAL MONEY AND SERIOUS TIME AND RESEARCH BUILDING OUR CARS AND MAKING THEM RUN WELL, A LOT OF US IN FACT, BUT YOU WOULDNT KNOW IT DUE TO DICKHEAD DOUCHEBAG WITH THE EBAY MUFFLER AND COLD AIR INTAKE WHO DRIVES DOWN YOUR BLOCK AT 35MPH IN 1ST GEAR AT 1:30 IN THE MORNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i mean honestly though.

GODDAMMIT STOP SAYING "THE HONDA CROWD" WE DONT ALL DRIVE PIECES OF SHIT WITH SHIT CAN EXHAUSTS ON THEM SOME OF US SPEND REAL MONEY AND SERIOUS TIME AND RESEARCH BUILDING OUR CARS AND MAKING THEM RUN WELL, A LOT OF US IN FACT, BUT YOU WOULDNT KNOW IT DUE TO DICKHEAD DOUCHEBAG WITH THE EBAY MUFFLER AND COLD AIR INTAKE WHO DRIVES DOWN YOUR BLOCK AT 35MPH IN 1ST GEAR AT 1:30 IN THE MORNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i mean honestly though.

You're missing the point... but yes I would like to see them shot in the ass too, them and their cheaply made swords.

... slightly drunken humor on my part... if you don't get it it's s'okay.

Hey, we resemble that remark

hehe foghorn leghorn.....i think you have gotten that backwards...oh wait. :w00t: :rofl: /jk 

(on the off chance someone didnt catch that one, foghorn being known for saying "I say...i say i resemble that remark!", i really hope someone gets it ha)

dont feel bad at least your datsun has more remaining metal than my truck which is now approx comprised of the following:

25% Fiberglass fill byproduct

15% ducttape

5% reynolds brand aluminum foil

2% standard office rubberbands

7% RTV/Silicone

8.5% US Military trip wire (dont ask)

25% Chinese made sweatshop parts

12.5% remaining Japanese materials

Factor in 2% margin for random plant materials

• Like 1

you cant say that efi has no disadvantages, one being that its very expensive when something breaks (and oh boy do they ever break)

especially as the hardware becomes old and obsolete, it gets astronomical.

My carb was a one time $269 cost, afterwards i can run it for 8 to 10 years then get a $40 rebuild for it and continue on.

also the last i checked theres only one possible way to repair a damaged ecu (assuming you got the solder skills) if your lucky and all it has is blown cap you can change

the damaged cap and it will come back to life, but if its anything else you'll need to send it in, or pay $300 for a refurb unit.

It's fine that your biased opinion favors carbs, but let's get the facts straight... lol.

Soldering components on a board is quite trivial if you have practiced, you could say quite the same about adjusting a carb.  Also, no one should send an ECU in for repair when you can find them for cheap in the junkyard or used for $40.

A quality built ECU will last at least 50 years or more, and you don't need to do anything with it every 8 to 10 years.

-Robert

It's fine that your biased opinion favors carbs, but let's get the facts straight... lol.

Soldering components on a board is quite trivial if you have practiced, you could say quite the same about adjusting a carb.  Also, no one should send an ECU in for repair when you can find them for cheap in the junkyard or used for $40.

A quality built ECU will last at least 50 years or more, and you don't need to do anything with it every 8 to 10 years.

-Robert

wow back to efi vs carb crap yet again, and with a load of bull-lona to go with it. First off you cant get any ecu's around here, but hey no actually reads what i posted in the past so meh, also theres no bias in what i posted, an $11 jet is always going to be cheaper than a $230 injector, also $40 for an ecu ha...better make that around $150...considering getting a reman on rockauto is $309 the last i checked, junkyards dont give nothing away here and the 50 years thing you just pulled out of your butt considering the ecu hasnt even existed 50 years yet, and no it wont last 50 years, i work on enough computer hardware to know that much, and no that ecu isnt no special super built computer that ate its wheaties, its just a 8502 hitachi board with an epprom that contains the program the truck needs to control the sensors.

epproms are solar sensitive by the way, if an ecu does manage 50 years its one of those things like that edison bulb that still hasnt blown, its a trooper.

an ecu making it 50 years well first you'll need to wait till 50 years happens before you can claim that, my ecu is officially at 27 years old, the oldest ecu in an nissan/datsun would be an '83 i believe (going by the trucks, they got computerized in 83). Edit: though i will say this at 50 years, only one of two things can fail on an ecu, either the eprom becomes erased (solar sensitive and the fact that bitrot can set in on it.) or a cap blows, ones a simple fix but getting the eprom reprogrammed might be a tad tough. So i guess you could say it will last forever if you have the components to fix it in 2031 when 50 years gets here.

Also I am done talking about carbs and efis for good, never again, feel free to bash away to your hearts content but im sick of talking about it, I dont care if i was to only get 2 mpg i would still use a carb.

So in short your reply is lacking in facts, but loaded in opinions and before you say the same about my replies, i never claimed any of my past posts were loaded in facts nor did i tell anyone to get their facts straight. I also made carbs short comings obvious many times, and at no time did i put carbs on a pedalstal above efi, i actually put carb slightly below efi but i still favored it even if it its 'inferior'.

Good Day sir.