Why so many ka24's?

carbs>efi just because i said so and because sound and smell

l wonder if ka's will be around or can handle 40+ years like the l series?

just a few provocative thoughts of mine :angel:

honestly the carbs VS> EFI debate is over, all of you on the carb side totally lost.

at least until you can tell any of us an advantage.

and BTW scanners did not come into common place til 1996 for OBD2, which will ALWAYS be easier to fix ANYTHING on than a carb. I like being able to drive to Autozone, them tell me the issue, buy the part and install it. there is very little troubleshooting with OBD2 in most cases.

But dooods!!!!!!!!!  this Carbureted R35 is gonna be soooooooosick, im gonna rig up a vg30 distributor then I am gonna get 6 Yamaha R1 carburetors, its gonna be so sick!!!!!!, it will take a year to tune and it will probably only stay tuned for a week, but let me tell you it'll be awesome!!!!!!!!, then I can fix it!

I think I'll use L6 points too, just for ultimate reliability, dont want any of that nasty electronic ignition

"FANS FLAMES!!!!"

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There never was a debate you guys were debating amongst yourselves and come off looking like elitists in the process, I love my carb and no fuel injection in the world would make me get rid of it. If you love efi that no carb would make you get rid of your efi then fine.

It makes you look bad when you keep bringing the subject up even when the other side has dropped it.

So please...i ask.....

Can we please move on and forget about the carbs and efi, because i honestly dont give a hoot one way or the other whether you got efi and its da bestest or if i got carb and its da worstest or if your using 300 Himalayan trained rodents to power your 620, i really just dont care. Because this thread is quickly becoming the ....crappiest.....

--END OF LINE--

all I am doing is making it easy for the next guy NOT to choose an outdated technology.

someone will find this thread in 5 or ten years and think "hmm maybe a carburetor is a bad idea" and I will have done my job. because if your still putting a carb on anything in 5-10 years you have a problem, and your WILL spend more money at that point than EFI, so I am not doing this to be an elitist, I am doing it to inform people not to go backwards with their vehicular technology as a benefit to the user who finds this thread when debating this question for himself.

you carb guys can have your fun, nobody is arguing that, but when you start spouting your opinions on reliability and tunability and your entirely and completely wrong in every way shape and form, you need corrected so that people dont take it as truth when its not even close to accurate.

YOU like carbs, thats great, but they are not efficiency, or good for the environment, or your engine, or a good investment,  period, I just want people to realize that when coming back to this thread and debating it for themselves and their situation.

And I might add That I still like carbureted motorcycles, but they also have very responsive side drafts, not toilet bowls, and there is still no comparison to an Carb R1 and a EFI R1, and they use the same exact engine with the same exact internals, but they got 40 extra HP out of an only 1000cc engine.

and I give incredible respect to those who are able to well tune carbs, especially tripple Webbers or Mikunis, I can tune them too but there are some true wizzards out there, you know what though? theres more of them dead than last year, and there will be more dead next year than last year, the carb wizzards are getting old and dying off and retiring, just like the technology.

ever tuned carbs on a dyno? i guarantee you will want to kill someone (probably the designer) after the first half hour.

carbs are NOT going to get easier to tune in the future either, and parts wont become easier to find, they are a DYING technology, I dont install DYING tech. EVEN IN UNDEVELOPED COUNTRIES the use of the carburetor is going bye bye.

and that sir is the END OF THE LINE with a note for the future.

all I am doing is making it easy for the next guy NOT to choose an outdated technology.

someone will find this thread in 5 or ten years and think "hmm maybe a carburetor is a bad idea" and I will have done my job. because if your still putting a carb on anything in 5-10 years you have a problem, and your WILL spend more money at that point than EFI, so I am not doing this to be an elitist, I am doing it to inform people not to go backwards with their vehicular technology as a benefit to the user who finds this thread when debating this question for himself.

you carb guys can have your fun, nobody is arguing that, but when you start spouting your opinions on reliability and tunability and your entirely and completely wrong in every way shape and form, you need corrected so that people dont take it as truth when its not even close to accurate.

YOU like carbs, thats great, but they are not efficiency, or good for the environment, or your engine, or a good investment,  period, I just want people to realize that when coming back to this thread and debating it for themselves and their situation.

And I might add That I still like carbureted motorcycles, but they also have very responsive side drafts, not toilet bowls, and there is still no comparison to an Carb R1 and a EFI R1, and they use the same exact engine with the same exact internals, but they got 40 extra HP out of an only 1000cc engine.

and I give incredible respect to those who are able to well tune carbs, especially tripple Webbers or Mikunis, I can tune them too but there are some true wizzards out there, you know what though? theres more of them dead than last year, and there will be more dead next year than last year, the carb wizzards are getting old and dying off and retiring, just like the technology.

ever tuned carbs on a dyno? i guarantee you will want to kill someone (probably the designer) after the first half hour.

carbs are NOT going to get easier to tune in the future either, and parts wont become easier to find, they are a DYING technology, I dont install DYING tech. EVEN IN UNDEVELOPED COUNTRIES the use of the carburetor is going bye bye.

and thats the definition of an elitest, someone who not only is rabid about something but has to preach it to everyone and then force it on them.

Like linux evangelists no less.

Funny your posts will likely have the opposite effect of what you intended but thats life. Carbs arnt dying btw but unlike you I never came in here with a 4,500lb chip on my shoulder ready to duke it out because there was never a debate to begin with.

just meh. I wash my hands of this and walk away

carbs are definitely dying, my buddy is in UTI right now, they spent 30 total minutes on carbs and that was an hour when I went to school back 5 years ago.

and my opinions wont have the opposite effect when the EPA puts a tarriff on carbs for pollution, you just wait, it WILL happen, I guarantee it.

they wont have the opposite effect when autozone ONLY has carburetors for drag racers and muscle cars, it WILL happen, just wait. shit its already happening, the BAP's near me dont have any carb stuff at all.

as I said I will admit that tuning carbs can even be fun, but their definitely goin by the wayside, and very fast.

Actually, as much as I push for EFI (and it is superior for daily driving) there are many good reasons for carbs.  Particularly on race cars who race at certain tracks all the time with little elevation change.  It is vastly cheaper to run a carb or carbs after initial buy-in.  It saves weight from wiring/ecu/etc.  With a properly tuned carb, you can mirror fuel injection on a race car.  NOT AT ALL THROTTLE POSITIONS however.  But when do you see race cars doing stop and go traffic at the track?

Not to mention, don't forget top fuel dragsters don't use fuel injection because the computer can't respond quick enough.

Not to mention, carbs are super super simple to tune.  Multiple carb systems take a bit more time, but it's a very simple process.  Your anti-carbs is almost as bad as the anti-efi because it has that demon box in it that I can't work on!!  Just sayin' :)

• Like 2

I already said that. when you have 7000 horsepower and doing a 3.23 quarter, then yes EFI sets you at a huge disadvantage, unless you have water hoses for injectors.

and yes in some racing situations as i said its better, but that is even a thing of the past. they do not use carburetors in NASCAR anymore. that spells out DEATH for carbs in racing.

Twenty bucks says NASCAR only did that to prevent cheating and to support the automotive industry because the average NASCAR moron might ask their new car dealer why they couldn't get a carburetor on their vortec Chevy 5.3.  :D

• Like 3

no, that is entirely incorrect, although hilarious and probably has some truth in it, they now make more power and have better throttle response. they also use less fuel, the EPA was pressuring them and that had something to do with it, but that is all. the bennefits are undeniable if you ask any racing Driver.

Just drove my first KA powered Datsun 620 today.... :thumbup:  :thumbup: :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :w00t:  

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......... :angel:

every time I drive my 510 with duel 40 webbers and get in the power band at 3500 to 7000 my carbs are singing to me and it sounds so sweet 

its a 68 and needs to stay more true to the original power plant in my opinion 

• Like 2

I built my 2.2 L with the L20 head and  dual 40 webers and it was ok for a while.Till I drove Dillons ka 510..And followed Jeffs 68 sr 510.So when jeff offered to build a turbo manifold and efi manifold with mega squirt  for my L there was no chance I was going to turn him down .I thank him every day (icehouse)

I wished nissans had the little wing windows that open in the corner of the doors, i miss that. Its like economical air conditioning.

The 521's have them, they're a near feature that should have stuck around

The 521's have them, they're a near feature that should have stuck around

man my truck......poor fella isnt looking too good, When i bought it 5 months ago it had a mystery thump (i hate those), now that the interior padding and carpet is gone, i know what the thump is now...its my cab mount moving seperate from the cab. sigh....... :w00t:

I dont think i have the time this year at all to dismantle the whole truck, so i have to hope it stays safe until next year i suppose. Its going to need some serious work.

cant afford that kind of moolah all we got is shyster car repair guys around here

and i dont trust anyone to work on it anyways due to above reason and the fact that people are careless and lazy when something isnt theirs.

Its drove like this for years (obviously it didnt happen overnight), It can hold out a few months till i know how things are looking.

Then i will strip it down and fix it up good. I am also going to run all new wiring and remove all of nissan's electrical system do it all myself. (which shouldnt be too bad by the time im done ripping things out, there will only be like 11 circuits)

oblig joke: this truck has more plastic than cher.