Dats goin to the ER soon aka my garage lol

One of the bolts that holds the t-stat housing to the head does go into the timing chain area inside the motor, so it is possible that water could get in there. Remote possibility, but still possible.

If the bolts are stuck, 99% of the time it is because of water leakage causing rust, which causes a bolt to weaken. In my experience, they either come out fine, or they break.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If the bolts are stuck, 99% of the time it is because of water leakage causing rust, which causes a bolt to weaken. In my experience, they either come out fine, or they break.

That's what I was afraid of. I've been lucky so far with t-stat housing bolts, but luck always runs out sometime.  I need to get some left-hand drill bits. Not that that is a cure all for removing broken bolts, but I've heard it sometimes spins em out while drilling for the eze-out. Probably false hope. I need to find the article on a home made EDM machine.

Len

But a leak at the thermostat housing wouldn't cause oil in your radiator. At least I can't picture how, but it is early in the AM and I haven't had much coffee yet. So I think you still have a bad head gasket or intake manifold gasket. Maybe all three.

If the thermostat housing bolts don't come loose with a reasonable amount of force, would it be useful to heat the heads with a torch? Or is it too far in to the threads so the heat just goes out into the head? Anyone have an opinion on this? If the bolts do break loose, but are hard to unscrew, I'd spray them with PB Blaster and let soak for awhile.

Len

Lol it's all good that's what sleepiness does to you..

Like I said before I'm going to buy the whole gasket kit so I can do it all at the same time

I think it's too deep in to torch it.

One of the bolts that holds the t-stat housing to the head does go into the timing chain area inside the motor, so it is possible that water could get in there. Remote possibility, but still possible.

Hopefully luck is on my side.

That's what I was afraid of. I've been lucky so far with t-stat housing bolts, but luck always runs out sometime. I need to get some left-hand drill bits. Not that that is a cure all for removing broken bolts, but I've heard it sometimes spins em out while drilling for the eze-out. Probably false hope. I need to find the article on a home made EDM machine.

Len

EDM??

EDM??

Electrical Discharge Machining  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_discharge_machining

At almost the end of the Wiki article: "Several manufacturers produce EDM machines for the specific purpose of removing broken tools (drill bits or taps) from work pieces. In this application, the process is termed "metal disintegration machining"."

Somewhere I got the idea you can burn a broken bolt out with EDM, but that may not be correct, and probably not out of aluminum. But I'll continue to fantasize there is a magic machine to make broken bolts disappear from Datsun heads.

Len

Electrical Discharge Machining https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_discharge_machining

At almost the end of the Wiki article: "Several manufacturers produce EDM machines for the specific purpose of removing broken tools (drill bits or taps) from work pieces. In this application, the process is termed "metal disintegration machining"."

Somewhere I got the idea you can burn a broken bolt out with EDM, but that may not be correct, and probably not out of aluminum. But I'll continue to fantasize there is a magic machine to make broken bolts disappear from Datsun heads.

Len

I feel your pain I hate braking bolts too, and will fantasize with you too that one day they will make a machine for that.

Electrical Discharge Machining  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_discharge_machining

Len

There is an acid that corrodes the bolt out at a very fast rate, but I wouldn't use it in that situation, If it drips on other parts it is very corrosive and can reek havoc.

I must just be good at it, a broken bolt does not worry me. Start by grinding a flat surface on the tip of the bolt, Center punch it, drill it small, then bigger until you can fit the largest possible extractor in it, then using heat and force (in the right amounts) the fastener usually comes right out. If it doesn't, then you drill it out completely and try to chase the threads to clean up. If that doesn't work, then you oversize it or heli-coil it.

No problem!

• Like 1

There is an acid that corrodes the bolt out at a very fast rate, but I wouldn't use it in that situation, If it drips on other parts it is very corrosive and can reek havoc.

I must just be good at it, a broken bolt does not worry me. Start by grinding a flat surface on the tip of the bolt, Center punch it, drill it small, then bigger until you can fit the largest possible extractor in it, then using heat and force (in the right amounts) the fastener usually comes right out. If it doesn't, then you drill it out completely and try to chase the threads to clean up. If that doesn't work, then you oversize it or heli-coil it.

No problem!

I always say that they should of made bolts Stainless steel so we wouldn't have to deal with BS!

Looks like you got a little oil in the coolant and it also looks like someone used water for coolant in the past. A new water pump should be part of this job as well as a new timing chain set while you are in there :)

Looks like you got a little oil in the coolant and it also looks like someone used water for coolant in the past. A new water pump should be part of this job as well as a new timing chain set while you are in there :)

Yeah I already have the water pump I'm just waiting on the other parts they should be coming in today they had to Order them and I'm going to get the Chain and Tensioner

Okay I started to take off my head and I came to fine out it wasn't my head gasket that was bad the owner before me broke bolt 1 in the block that's why it was heating up so I took off the other Bolts then I get to the last one that 2 on this pic and it broke on me but this one is sticking out of the block. How can I fix this and where can I fine two Headstuds?

null_zps04a444a0.jpg

If there is enough of the bolt poking out you can try to grab it with a pair of vice grips and spin it out. Also heard of people welding a nut to the remaining bolt to give you something to get a grip on. Last resort is carefully drill em out or use an easy out but I have never had success using those. Just hit up a junk yard for replacement bolts.

If there is enough of the bolt poking out you can try to grab it with a pair of vice grips and spin it out. Also heard of people welding a nut to the remaining bolt to give you something to get a grip on. Last resort is carefully drill em out or use an easy out but I have never had success using those. Just hit up a junk yard for replacement bolts.

I know bolt one is going to be a pain to take out..

I know I'm not going to find a datsun laying around in these junk yards up here, do you know any other Nissan or car I can take the two head bolts off of?

Do some research to confirm but I'm pretty sure all the L motors can use the same head bolts including L series 6 cyl. So look for L series trucks, 510, 610, 710, 810, z cars, ect. Probably can still get them from a nissan dealer too.

man thanks. I will go on the hunt to find them lol

• 4 weeks later...