620 Cab Swap

ftlallday

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The steering column and the steering box are one piece and don't really come apart.... at least not without dismantling it. I couldn't get the box and column out by disconnecting the linkages and dropping out the front. The long column means you have to extend a long ways down and forward. So instead I took the steering wheel off and lifted the cab up and back until it cleared. Put the cab on the same way. It was like threading a needle.

The steering column and the steering box are one piece and don't really come apart.... at least not without dismantling it. I couldn't get the box and column out by disconnecting the linkages and dropping out the front. The long column means you have to extend a long ways down and forward. So instead I took the steering wheel off and lifted the cab up and back until it cleared. Put the cab on the same way. It was like threading a needle.

I thought about that, yikes.. ah oh well it should be alright, if my aims right! ha, I  am going to look at a cab on a frame already tomorrow. Maybe I can get away with transferring everything to this new cab and frame

I am currently doing this too.  I had a lot of trouble with the steering column also from my donor frame.  Couldn't get the linkage to the box off.  Ended up keeping it on and just cutting the rod off.  I am using a '79 frame for my '73 truck.

when I took mine off,I unbolted the steering box from the frame,but the linkage was still connected. This gives you enough room to lift the cab up and slide it back over the top of the bed. Get 4 or 5 buddies and remove everything you can.