Newbie here looking for a 1979 Datsun 210 mechanic in the SF Bay Area

dottie

I just picked up a 1979 Datsun 210 auto, lucky find with only 25K original miles. The interior is immaculate, engine bay and trunk. It even has the same spark plugs. I am having some low idle issues and wanted to know if any of you knew a good mechanic in the SF bay area? The car's been sitting for some time so I am sure it needs to be gone through. I am previously an old Fiat guy and new to Datsun. Any advice or help is appreciated.

Thanks,

John

BTW - Dottie is her name.

20130615_175735_zpscb148da8.jpg

a522511b-d31d-4d7a-a75f-b1a5dc5d3e29_zps

• Like 1
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks DM - I've tried that. I get the idle about 750-800 in park but when I get it in to gear it drops to about 500-600 and it feels like at times it wants to stall but never does,- which is good. I also find that when I step on the gas while in drive it feels like the auto transmission hesitates and then accelerates just fine. 

Lovely car.  Wish mine looked that good!

I've been fightin' with that "hesitation" for quite a while.  It ran great when I got it but I screwed up the linkage settings when I put in a rebuild kit.  So I made it even worse. 

I've had the carb come loose twice,  There is a big screw holding the bottom 1/3 of the carb to the top sections.  Crank the thing good and tight. 

The carb can get loose on the manifold.  I put some lock washers them 4 bolts instead of Loktite to fix that, but I have to admit the two nuts on the motor side is very difficult to reach.   Take the valve cover off and you have a lot more room.

There are 4 screws to adjust carb or linkage.  A regular screwdriver is hard to use on the fast idle screw 'cause it's way down at the bottom of the carb and the heat protector plate is in the way.  I'll nip a slot in the plate if I take the thing apart again, but I happen to have a screwdriver that works.

Anyway, with proper valve lash, timing, etc. you can keep the carb bolted up tight to prevent leaks, and if you can reach all 4 screws the you can get that hesitation out.  Then it becomes a truly pleasing car to drive.

Thanks for all the help. 

As it turns out, the idle issue was a combination of the idle screw needing to be slightly adjusted and blasting a couple of gas tanks through the car with some sea foam. The car wasn't driven regularly and needed to be cleaned out. 

I do need to address slight automatica transmission hesitation and occasionally, the transmission will not shift to a higher gear until it reaches 30mph. Usually is shifts at about 17mph. When it reaches about 29mph and has not shifted, I take my foot off the gas and reapply pressure to the pedal and it shifts. Now sure if the issue is with the transmission or with an adjustment on the carb.

Make sure the vacuum line running to the module on the tranny is in good shape. It may be rotted or fell off?? That's basically the only thing that determines shift points. Unless ya got a pump going bad. But doubt it since it shifts 1 2.