SR20DET TRANSMISSION OUTPUT SHAFT

Esteep

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What is it you're trying to accomplish "overall" with the driveshaft/trans/play ? :)

Approximately how much room should I have from the end of the output shaft to the bottom of my input of the drive shaft?Does that make sense? I have a drive shaft that I'm trying to shorten.

Approximately how much room should I have from the end of the output shaft to the bottom of my input of the drive shaft?Does that make sense? I have a drive shaft that I'm trying to shorten.

I would imagine an inch maybe two. This would allow for the differential to 'move' forward when accelerating/decelerating and also allow the drive shaft to be pushed into the transmission slightly when disconnecting from the differential. You don't want it to bottom out. Talk to a drive line shop.

I set them up as follows:

Slide the yoke all the way into the transmission. Bottom it out.

Slide it back 3/4"

Measure from differential flange face to center of U-joint caps, being careful not to push the yoke up into the transmission.

Never had any issues, it's always been plenty of clearance. Some shops leave 1" from bottoming out, I've never had a car need that much. More spline engagement, more strength, less wear, longer driveshaft/tailshaft life.

I set them up as follows:

Slide the yoke all the way into the transmission. Bottom it out.

Slide it back 3/4"

Measure from differential flange face to center of U-joint caps, being careful not to push the yoke up into the transmission.

Never had any issues, it's always been plenty of clearance. Some shops leave 1" from bottoming out, I've never had a car need that much. More spline engagement, more strength, less wear, longer driveshaft/tailshaft life.

Ok, yeah I have about 4 1/2 inches of room, thanks